Linux Deepin 12.12.1 - Bloody fantastic

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a super-ultra-uber-extra long and thorough review of Linux Deepin 12.12.1 64-bit, a Ubuntu-based distribution with a highly customized Gnome Shell desktop, covering live usage, installation and post-install, including Wireless, Samba sharing, look & feel, desktop customization, skins, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, quad-boot setup, applications, software center and package management, additional drivers, 3D effects and Compiz, system resources, performance, responsiveness, stability, suspend & resume, printing, interactive user manual, many new and unique features, potential market impact and caveats, and more. You must read this.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-deepin-12-12-1.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Really looks like they tried to go for a similar look to Windows 7.
    Not sure if that is a good thing or not...

Cheers, Nick

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

they try very hard to keep it close to windows 7 so for newbies there is no big deal to see

any difference good thing it is its free with kingsoft office D-music D-player so overall not a bad package

but more i think they get inspiration form ROSA LAB specially on art work personal video player ....etc

http://www.rosalab.com/products/desktop

thanks mrk for your review getting 9 on your reviews means its really a hotty out there :D

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Mrkvonic a correction - Linux Deepin did use a modified version of GNOME in the past but in this release - based on Ubuntu Raring 13.04 - they are using their own desktop environment - named appropriately enough Linux Deepin Desktop Environment. There are so many problems with GNOME Shell as you noted yourself in the past that they decided to start over. I think its the right approach to move away from GNOME and it shows here. As you wrote they use Compiz whereas GNOME uses Mutter. Going back to the basics is getting right back on track. It does combine elements of both Mac and Windows 7 but it does so quite beautifully. I should point out they also have their unique screenshot tool - named DSnapshot. A very well put together distro! It can only grow from this point on!

Cheers!

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

6. Gringo95

Gringo95 Registered Member

I had issues with the 120+ packages need to update the x64 bit version after install on two separate machines, one of which failed to boot afterwards. Possibly the slow and erratic download speed corrupted something on route or their software center doesn't like handling this amount of traffic in one go. After re-installing I did the updates in related batches and this time everything went through OK.

If this had been around nearer the start of Gnome3 I doubt we would have seen so many other DE forks. IMO the look is outstanding.

CPU use is a bit high but I doubt it'll wear mine out. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.