Linux Chooser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Just saying that the Proxo works perfectly with WINE (Even gives you the cool all-seeing green eye in a little tray thingy :p ). All you have to do is install wine (there is probably some guide in the ubuntu forum on this or in the documentation) with something like apt-get wine, then configure using winecfg(i think that's right) then extract the Proxo zip file into the wine directory, and type "wine pathToProxo.exe" then it will run and work. I know I didn't describe it very well, but it works perfectly fine.

(Oh, and it said I should use Arch, Gentoo, or Slack), but little did they know I use a BSD :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

2. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Really? Do you have some stats to show that EVERY user goes through agony without Proxo and returns to *unix because they can not use Proxo? I would be interested in seeing some numbers on this.

I also have not read of any DEATHS attributed to the lose of proxo use. Has this happened in Hilo HI to someone you know?

3. Lanik

Lanik Registered Member

Install Adblock Plus with EasyList USA filters ... problem solved. I don't know why you're so stuck on Proxo but whatever floats your boat.

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That in no way resembles the Proxomitron. There is NOTHING that resembles the Proxomitron. You must not know much about Proxo if you would claim that Adblock Plus with those ad filters is the equivalent of Proxo with Sidki's or Grypen's filters. There is no comparison.

Other folks have posted many times about their agonies with getting Proxo to work with Linux and not one of them has suggested using some poor substitute other than some tried Privoxy and were disappointed. If you really wanted to be helpful you would have explained, step by step, how to get Proxo to work with Ubuntu rather than insisting I get some other application. Besides, I use Opera, SeaMonkey, IE 6 and Maxthon. Proxo works for all. Ad Block won't so why suggest that as a solution?

5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Well, I tried, but this is definitely more specific (found it by typing in google "ubuntu wine" without the quotes of course)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

6. Lanik

Lanik Registered Member

Do you know how to use a search engine? ;) Enough said. You do realize there is no IE in Linux, unless run through wine. :D And doing a simple search yields plenty of results for adblocking with Opera. I'm sure you're aware Seamonkey is a Gecko product. You must know nothing about Adblock Plus, its not an application its a browser extension, it helps when you read the docs you know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_(computing)

Obviously you're not looking to get help otherwise you wouldn't be taking cheap shots at me. :D

7. GrailVanGogh

Are you lazy or did you just forget how to use a Search Engine? Seems to be happening a lot with you lately that you want others to do the leg work for you.

Big deal that you use all those different browsers because you do not know how to use anyone of them properly and your history with Proxo issues speaks for itself. How many threads are started just at DSLR by you about site issues you blame on others when at the end of the day it was proxo and you mucking things up?

As lanik said Adblock is an extension for Fx which works on many platforms and considering you constantly bring up how long you have used Firefox you certainly have learned nothing about it.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

adblock trolls are idiots i don't know what the big deal is about it o_O you can't mention proxo without some moron turning up and going on about adblock lol

just install wine -
    Code:
    sudo aptitute install wine
    then copy this -
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash -

sleep 11 ; wine "C:\Program Files\Proxomitron Naoko-4\Proxomitron.exe"
    exit 0
    and save it as whatever you like - proxo_startup, or something like that. you can save it to ~/scripts. that's the same place as /home/USERNAME/scripts

then i suppose it needs to be made executable like this (when you run this command make sure the terminal can see it, so if it's on your desktop when you run it, open your terminal and run 'cd Desktop' first note: desktop has a capital 'd'!) -
    Code:
    chmod a+x SCRIPT_NAME 
    or if you named it proxo_startup - 
    chmod a+x proxo_startup
    then open the session program -
    Code:
    gnome-session-properties
    and add that script location to Stratup Programs, so it should look a bit like this -
    Code:
    /home/ice60/scripts/Proxo_Startup
    when you first install wine you can configure it with this command winecfg, but i think the defaults are OK.

edit. ok the order might be a bit wrong.

install wine, and run winecfg, then get the proxo files and put them on your desktop, then run this
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    wine name_of_proxo.exe
    then when it's install i think you can follow the instructions.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

*Had this setup before iceni's excellent ~ first-hand I take :shifty: ~ info hit the board. View it as that "little bit extra."

Proxo appear's to run fine Mele. Go with Alpha's link, a good one. Then read through this whole tuopf's thread to help you sort the particular's, and one to show the skeptic's you're not alone in your praise for Mr. Lemmon's superb creation. Happy filtering! ;)

GF

10. GrailVanGogh

Adblock was mentioned to inform mele what adblock is. An extension for Fx.

Do you have problems reading posts also?

Save your name calling for your high school buddies.

11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

was the thread-starter...
    then...
    then...
    Now, now...let's stay on topic. By the way, what was your resultso_O

12. GrailVanGogh

Fedora,
    Ubuntu,
    OpenSuSE

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

WebCleaner (?)

Another Linux distribution (from my country) Ututo :)

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A number of posts were removed that in no way contribute to this techinical thread.

Let's keep the childish like bickering to ourselves Please and simply discuss the topic at hand which happens to be ones choice concerning Linux. For those that wish to continue the off topic discussion focusing on Proxo, Please do so in another thread.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.