Linux becoming a threat to Windows in the enterprise

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://www.neowin.net/news/linux-becoming-a-threat-to-windows-in-the-enterprise

The Linux Foundation released a report today that shows Linux implementations growing within large companies over the next five years. According to PC World, the full report included data from 1900 respondents. Among the full set of 1900 companies, 76% said that they would be adding more Linux servers in the coming year. Only 41% claimed that they would be increasing their Windows server implementations. If that isn’t impressive enough, the five-year view looks even better for the open source operating system. While 79% of the surveyed said that they would be adding Linux servers over the next five years, only 21% are going with Windows. Of the companies growing their Linux infrastructure, 37% of them would be migrations from Windows products.

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

They might start using more Linux as servers but the mass company will never ever start using Linux as a workstation/desktop . It is just useless when it comes to applications running on Linux.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Just give some time you will see the change:D

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And how long have we been hearing that?

On topic, this "threat" wouldn't exist if Microsoft license expenses weren't a factor.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I always wonder why ?
    People say its because they already run MS this and that, but isn't that the case with the servers ?
    Seldom see Macs either :- in non-design businesses, alone the larger companies.

Cheers, Nick

6. linuxforall

Linux useless when it comes to running apps, what an understatement really. Even movies are now being made on Linux, big production and thats as non server environment as can be, also some major sound production units, lets not even bring in supercomps, they run Linux period.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Good stuff :thumb: Competition only makes Microsoft better as you see with IE9 and Windows phone 7.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

More competition, more litigation. Even the black coats are cheering.

I tried to download the report but they wanted to know details about me. Whyo_O

9. linuxforall

Yes we can all see how good IE9 and Windows are really evolving into ;) btw when are they going to launch a new file system and replace that creaky old NTFS which is now showing to be long in its tooth, while they are at it, let them remove that pesky registry as well and fix them holes in their browser, IE does make good swiss cheese though rivaling the very best. :D

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

many reasons i like linux more than windows

1st its all about Free :D.

2nd More frequent updates compare to window.

3rd the main reason you just need to add ppa it update every thing your opera to any third party software which you dont see in windows which frustrate me the most in windows there should me one click install/update system like linux

4th very good software manager where you get every thing in once place no need to go here and there

5th iptables file system linux architecture its self is so secure

6th did i forget to mention awn and compiz :D

7th terminal mode here you can play with many cool commands in dos we dont see those just few old boring ones

8th every 6th month you see new look in windows hardly that happen in 3-4 years and then you have to pay a big $$$ to for even upgrade

9th sorry if i forget some thing to add please feel free to add .....:)

i think 3rd and 4th field is most important to windows work on where with one click you update everything from antivirus firewall to all your softwares which is most frustrating part in windows and pity there are more 3rd party software you need in windows as compare to linux so updating every thing its pretty much pfff .... hope we see the change soon :))

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

FYI

Movie making involves a huge amount of servers due to the large amount of digital processing and CGI that require either high performance storage (uncompressed huge (Something like 8000x4000) resolution 24fps data). Then there are the rendering farms required to generate the CGI.

Cheers, Nick :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.