LINUX AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by HURST, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi all
    I successfully installed Kubuntu Gutsy on my laptop. So far all is working out of the box, so I'm VERY pleased. If it wasn't for some simulation software have to run for the university I wouldn't be going back to windows very often.

So now comes the fun part. Tweaking. [​IMG]
    I already installed firefox and NoScript. What else?
    I have always heard that linux is very secure and you don't need any AV. Is this really so? If not, what AV do you recommend? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Thanks
    That link was very usefull WSFuser!

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

kubuntu is secure out of the box but I agree with WSFuser that, if you want an av, avast is a good choice. Also, you can configure the built-in iptables firewall with front-ends such as firestarter, guarddog, or shorewall. Synaptic contains two rootkit scanners, chkrootkit and rkhunter. Also, the 7.10 buntus come with apparmor, which limits what actions a particular program can execute.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The beauty of the NIX systems is the security and modularity.
    You really don't need anything ... but you can use them for fun if you want.

As to tweaking, why not play with Compiz, Mac theme etc, you'll enjoy it ...

Mrk

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just wanted to say PCLOS. :D

9. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

hi.

What other Penguin vets here say was very very TRUE! Penguins does NOT need AVs and the mentioned built-in anti-RK in v7.10 does fortified Linux's vaunted concern on security. :thumb:

On 'fun' side... try bolting on "clam-AV" which is software-Libre. I had one bolted in a Foresight setup, but very seldom runs it thou. But clam chowder really works well with any Penguin flavour...thou nevah caught any pest yet! :(

Here is Clam's url~ http://www.bandsman.co.uk/clamav.htm#News
    ----------------------------------
    EDIT: addendum

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the main really good point of ubuntu is that you cannot login as root.
    the only way to login as root is via commandline.
    its a extra secuirty measure.
    lodore

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

su is better than sudo.

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Compassion or Vanity, most Linux users choose the latter of the two :'(

The real reason Linux needs an AV

Avast! works well :)

Hmmm, and what protects /home/lodore , you know, that place where you keep all your important-personal data ? What exactly is it you want to protect, your "important-personal data" or your Gnome libs ? :p

Whats safer, one password or two ? I'll take the password for User (non-sudoer) and another one for Root any day.......

Some good advice for Windows users migrating to Linux...

Never forget what nest your egg hatched, keep the security lessons learned while growing up. You'll have peripheral vision when you soar with Linux Geeks, some of them can't see past the mirror.......

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    And how exactly is that virus going to get installed or run?
    Even better, why?
    Mrk

14. FastGame

You asking me ? if so I never said anything about a virus being installed and run on Linux. Its easy to get virus on Linux and pass them around, ever hear of P2P ? ftp ? email ? Because these things don't affect Linux is that ok to pass around to others that might be effected ?

And what about Web Browser exploits ? are Linux users not included ? Are security updates for Linux Opera & Firefox there for a reason ?

As for the safety of "important-personal data" on /home/user, has nothing to do with virus/trojans/worms, my point was on sudo vs su (root), let someone like myself get anywhere near your PC (that includes you Mrkvonic) and I'll own you ! doesn't matter what type of account you have ;)

Well maybe not you, Mrkvonic, hows your "peripheral vision" :D

15. Mrkvonic

Hello,

First, I apologize for the AV ... I thought you were talking about it.

Second, nothing can beat the self-destructive will of the user ... sudo su or anything else. When someone is bent on mischief and calamity, they'll get them.

Third, local security is something else entirely. Once you get your hands on a machine ... game over.

Fourth, my house is protected by electromagnetic interference sub-meson resonator. Anyone failing to identify themselves as me using DNA sulphur-unit harmonics check will have their middle shifted by 30 cm to the left - similar to the Bambleweenee in the Hitchhiker's guide ....

Fifth, web exploits for browsers in Linux ... maybe ... but most of the exploits regarding the popular browsers mentioned are for Windows only.

Finally, getting a virus - which you can also call - installing something you don't want or need - again, nothing will stop a user bent on self-destruction, regardless how the file is obtained - ftp, email, p2p, present from an uncle.

If you mean - you need AV to protect the user from himself! - OK! But if the argument is - you need AV to stop titanic floods of viruses and such - then the answer is negative.

Cheers,
    Mrk

16. FastGame

Well we certainly got this narrowed down a bunch :) Let me work on you some more :D

I'm not saying we need anything, I mean we don't "need" to throw our trash in the bin when we can throw it out the car window, we don't need to send our used car oil to reclamation when we can dump it in the yard, no need to worry about lead in Tuna because we eat Cod, but wait....my mom likes tuna :eek:

Visit your favorite site under DOS attack and Linux or not virus/trojans/worms effected you, clogged slow internet from zombie bots effects everyone.

Now we don't need to do anything but we should, simple Right click> scan for virus might not stop "titanic floods of viruses" but it goes a long way in keeping mom's email tuna safe....

Happy Linux :cool:

17. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Actually, a lot of those servers that are zombies are actually linux servers/computer that weren't properly setup and where then compromised and are now being controlled remotely. Not really through any virus the user downloaded, but through their inability to understand what they installed and how to secure it, in addition to securing their own systems and learning how to administer a system and check if something is awry.

The real security threat in the *nix world right now is not viruses and spyware, but not properly securing your box from remote attacks.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

18. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

In my mind, yes. Not a single infection after six months with SAM 2007.1 Linux, checked by avast! Linux Home.

Just for fun, of course, the easiest way to check your Linux system is ewido micro on your USB Flash drive. Just right click on it and then choose "open with; Wine Windows Emulator", works fine in SAM Linux.

The second option is always avast! Linux Home, you just need to know how to install it.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

19. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Clam and AVG makes products for *nix.

Granted...running *nix distros..you're much more secure. I'm not going to spend the time to look around for "real world" viruses that target *nix..I know I've read about them in concept...whether some actually get out there are hit people...dunno.

However...why not help participate in responsible computing. If you do e-mail with an e-mail client....you might unknowingly help spread or pass on a virus..to other regular Windows users..if you don't have you own local antivirus program.

20. tlu

tlu Guest

Indeed, and an additional problem is a lot of small rented servers with often very old Linux versions that are not properly updated and thus vulnerable.

21. tlu

tlu Guest

As mentioned in other postings here, an AV isn't really necessary for Linux. However, if you nevertheless want to scan, e.g., your emails (as I do) one good choice is the free Linux version of Antivir available on http://freeav.com/ . It can be very easily integrated in Kmail which recognizes it automatically and offers the setup of correct filter rules (this also applies to Spamassassin and Bogofilter by the way) .

22. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.