Linux Authentication

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by robbwk, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robbwk

robbwk Registered Member

I have installed the Linux Agent on a SuSE server:D . I am trying to log on to that server using the Management Console which is installed to a Windows XP Service Pack 2 workstation.

I have opened the 9876 port in the SuSE Firewall. I can connect to the server, but although I have an account on the server for backup purposes, I am refused access. I have checked the CHMOD on the Agent and its fine. All the appropriate files are CHMOD as executable.

I have SAMBA server running and and can access SWAT no problem from the XP box, so I know that connectivity and authentication is fine at that level:) .

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello robbwk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that Acronis True Image Agent for Linux is running. You can check it by
    # /etc/init.d/acronis_trueimage_agent status

If Acronis True Image Agent for Linux is not running, please run it by # /etc/init.d/acronis_trueimage_agent start
    After that please try to connect to the server under 'root' user.

If the problem still persists, please describe all actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step. Please also make a digital photo of the error message.

Please submit a request for technical support. Please indicate that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva in the heading of the request. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. robbwk

robbwk Registered Member

Thanks for your response.

I have checked the Agent, and it is running. I have it configured as a service in Yast2/System/Run Level.

I checked connectivity (PING) and can 'see' the server. DNS is working fine, but I tend to use the IP to avoid hassles.

You can see from the (attached) screen-grab that I am not getting authenticated on the server.

I have drives mapped on my workstation from the server. These require root authentication to connect. They are fine.

I must have missed something, but can't think what(?).

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

4. Acronis Support

Hello robbwk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please do the following in order to obtain the necessary information:
    - run ifconfig -a > ifconfig.txt and iptables -L > iptables.txt commands and collect ifconfig.txt and iptables.txt files.

Please also reproduce the problem and send us messages.txt and secure.txt which you can find at
    cp /var/log/messages messages.txt and cp /var/log/secure secure.txt.

Please follow the instructions above in order to contact Acronis Support Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. mneubert

mneubert Registered Member

hello,

we got the same problem.
    and after the login there is no entry in var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.
    there is also no entry in iptables.

any suggestions ?

6. jmiles65

jmiles65 Registered Member

are you saying that remotely connecting to a linux server running the agent is only possible by using the root account? we are currently evaluating your product but storing the servers root password in plain text for automated backups is out of the question.

so is there a possiblity to connect with a non-root-user, or better, authenticate by using an ssl certificate?

regards,

-jm.

7. jmiles65

any confirmation on that? would be great, so we can continue to evaluate.

cheers,

-jm.

8. Acronis Support

Hello jmiles65,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that passwords are not stored in plain text, they are encrypted, and the task script including the encrypted password is stored on the computer Acronis Agent is installed at.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. jmiles65

thanks for your feedback.

what i meant is that even if the password is encrypted, it can (obviously has to be) decrypted. a normal password storing procedure would be hashing it, making it impossible to decrypt.

anyway, i read in another post that you're working on a feature that lets the user log with a different account. is this still in progress?

thank you for your answer.

-jm

10. lhawk

lhawk Registered Member

I am experiencing this same issue with a SuSE 10.2 server. The service is running:

But when I try to connect via the Management Console, no matter what I put in for the login credentials, it will not let me in. My company has purchased TI and I am in the process of implementing it throughout my datacenter so it is important that I be able to connect to Linux servers in this way. It works fine with my Windows machines.

11. Acronis Support

Hello lhawk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please also be aware that you should update all components including Acronis Agents, Acronis Management Console, Acronis Backup and Group Servers, Acronis Universal Restore as it is obligatory for all components to be of the same build in order to interact correctly. Also it is recommended to create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please be aware that currently one should use account with root credentials to connect to Acronis True Image Agent for Linux. Acronis Development Team is working on the ability to use non-root account for this purpose.

If the issue persists with the latest build, please clarify if you use any Firewall. Then please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Anton Sherkhonov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

12. lhawk

lhawk Registered Member

I am using the latest build and I am attempting to connect using the the root login. There are no firewalls enabled on my Linux machine. I am able to SSH to it and it shows up in the Management Console, but will not let me connect.

I am unable to submit a trouble ticket because when I attempt to register my product, I am receiving and error message that my product key is valid but is unable to be registered at this time. I am then redirected back to the registration page. My representative is aware of this problem but has so far been unresponsive to addressing it.

13. Acronis Support

Hello lhawk,

Please use this form to submit a support request.

Please also create a screenshot of the error message and submit another support request with the description of the issue and the screenshot file attached.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.