Linux and windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hossie, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hello Everybody,

I have windows XP and linux(Red Hat) installed on my computer and my broadband connection is working fine on windows XP, but I need some help in configuring the same with the Linux. I have a NIC installed in my comp and there is a software program given by my ISP to connect. Now When I tried to configure broadband on linux, its not working. If u guys can help me out with any website which has the complete information regarding it.

2. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Or you could try another distribution with a better/easier hardware recognition (in your case network), for example Ubuntu/Kubuntu - very good at detecting hardware and easy to configurate.

Regards, C.

3. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Thanks for ur reply,

Well I have ordered Ubuntu as there was free promotion going on , but still I have not recieved it.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Hello hossie

What is this software your ISP gives you to connect ? must you have it to connect ? do they have a Linux version ? Some ISP's aren't Linux compatible, dial-up users with PeoplePC can't connect with Linux.

As for networking I doubt that Ubuntu is better than RedHat, for hardware detection & setup, ease of use, PCLinuxOS has both beat.

But...

Before you go Distro hopping you need to check if you need the ISP's software for connection, if its Linux compatible.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

6. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Thanks for your reply,

Your website is quite informative,

Thanks onece again

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

just do a search for your distro along with the model of your modem, then you'll find out how to configure it.

8. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Well Iceni ,

As I mentioned in my first post that , I dont have a dial up connection . I have a NIC and I have direct connection through ethernet connected to a switch. Its a program which I need to confiugure which is been given by my ISP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.