Linux and Windows on same PC?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

I finally got around to installing Linux and happy I did. I like it much better then windows. I left Windows on the computer for now, but was wondering if there was any chance that Windows could be recording what Im doing on Linux?

If so, should I remove Windows?

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Presuming you took the care to create a dedicated partition for Linux, then Windows has its own and the system is a dual boot one.
    When the machine starts you will either use (boot with) one or the other OS; in that case the OS not in use is, shall we say off, and thus not able to record or whatever crosses your suspicious little head.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Windows can't record anything when it's not running. Windows can't even read the linux partition unless you've got a 3rd party driver installed specifically for that purpose.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Especially if you encrypted the Linux install (dm-crypt/LUKS install, boot loader on external device optional).

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@lucygrl

Did you install Linux in its own partition, or just "install" Linux inside Windows using Wubi etc?

6. lucygrl

I downloaded Ubuntu. When I start the computer it says....

Please select the operating system to start :

Windows

Ububtu

7. lucygrl

Should I be safe now to remove windows?

8. mirimir

I still don't know enough to say.

What did you do after downloading Ubuntu?

How did you install it?

9. lucygrl

I just downloaded the Ubuntu stable edition then just clicked on the downloaded file and it installed.
    After when I now start the PC it says,

Please select the operating system to start :

Windows

Ububtu

And I choose Ubuntu. Thats all I know.

10. lucygrl

Something I noticed after I started using Ubuntu was that when I start Tor it offers me the choice of Run From Terminal or Run. What is the difference and which one should I choose?

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

You installed Ubuntu from Windows, not from a CD, DVD, or USB stick?

12. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

If he used the Windows installer this is the joke of the week.

13. mirimir

From that description, it seems that you've "installed" Ubuntu using wubi or some other Windows software. I don't know Windows that well anymore. Maybe you're using Windows built-in virtualization capability.

In any case, whatever you did, you didn't actually install Ubuntu. If you remove Windows now, you'll also remove Ubuntu, because it exists just in some Windows folder.

There are instructions at http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop for burning the file that you downloaded to a DVD, and installing it. However, it would be best to first decide whether you want to keep Windows or not. Installing Ubuntu without keeping Windows is simpler. If you decide not to keep Windows, make sure to keep a copy of everything that you want before installing Ubuntu. If you aren't sure where your stuff is stored, ask.

14. lucygrl

Thankyou, now I understand what I did. Yes I installed it with windows. Ok, Ill do it again this time via USB. Well, at least Im learning a lot here. Thankyou.

15. lucygrl

I just remembered, when I did the install it offered me the choice to remove windows and replace it with Ubuntu. Maybe it might be easier to do that again and this time replace windows?

16. Setcho

Setcho Registered Member

I've been running a dual boot system for about 7 years and every year I think about completely doing away with windows. However I end up keeping it around for some things like Office 2013 and gaming. Also, two UK on demand TV services (4oD and demand5) absolutely refuse to work on any of my linux systems so windows is still needed by me for this as well.

Also if you are new to linux I think that you should keep windows installed so that if something goes wrong in linux you can at least boot back in to windows and get back on the net to find a solution. How big is your HDD? Why not just reduce the size of the windows partition during install. I have an 80gb windows partition and 420gb for linux.

17. mirimir

I don't know what Ubuntu asks now if it detects Windows. Someone o_O

If you don't want to keep Windows, replace it.

It you can create restore disks first, do that just in case.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you do an install from CD/DVD, if Ubuntu detects Windows, it will ask you if you want to install alongside Windows (so you have both), or if you want to replace Windows completely, and use the entire disk.

If it was a WUBI install (run from within Windows), then it requires Windows to be there and it uses Win disk space to operate. 2 different things...

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I also often run Linux and Windows as dula boot system, many do it. No problem, and so you can copy in Windows your work, as Setcho says.

20. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I'd advice to keep Windows installed, at least for the time being while getting acquainted with ubuntu.
    First of all, get familiar with some Ubuntu/Linux 'speak'. With linux, you'll have to learn, at least a bit.
    Mostly new words/different naming convention for stuff you already know. Like naming a HDD 'sda'.
    Read a few articles to get an idea of what's involved with dual-booting/installing Win+Lin, on how to make partitions (and why), what is a 'boot manager' etc.
    Check f.i. link, link, link.

edit; This thread should be moved->linux section.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  21. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

@Baserk,
    Two or all 3 of the links indicate you need Win installation disc. Well, the OEM manufacturers don't issue them. So while I understand the process (did it on XP and Mint), I just don't know how to do dual boot with Win7 on a Lenovo laptop that has no win7 disk. All I have is Acronis TI v11 images of the 3 partitions and win partition is already shrinked the way I wanted so I have a 4th (my data) partition and a heap of unallocated space.

22. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

why? some ppl prefer doing it that way. There is a reason why Wubi exists in teh first place. .

23. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I had a similar problem a few years back. I wanted to switch from Vista 32 Bit to Vista 64 Bit and I only had an OEM Version. You can create your own bootable Win DVD working for evey version there is. It is perfectly legal as long as you use your serial number or key. You may have to use the activation via telephone but that is no problem at all. Did it several times already, always successful.

You just need a few minutes of time. It is very easy, if you follow one of the many guides. Even if there was some kind of error, there’s lots of answers and solutions in the commentary section of theses guides.

Here's just one link to a guide for Win7 that should provide all the information and sources you need. If you need another Windows just search on this page or elsewhere.
    Code:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-create-and-make-bootable-windows-7-iso-from-exe-plus-setup1-box-and-setup2-box-files/
    Edit:
    If you need win7 I think you don't need to make your own bootable dvd because you can use the iso. Back then, I had to create a bootable DVD for vista because there was no iso available. Here's the page I used (I think you can get the links directly from Microsoft as well) Choose your language and the SP that should be included:
    Code:
    http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  24. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Those who know they are doing it.
    The OP mistook the Wubi for a full install.

25. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

As Balthazar pointed out, you can download virtually any official Windows 7 version.
    Just google Win7 and 'Digital River' (where Microsoft offers downloadable iso files).
    Even more extensive list of Windows7 SP1 'Media Refresh Edition' ISO files link, more info on most recent media refresh edition link

With such an ISO burned on DVD, you're free to do what you want. Back up your data and perhaps then remove all partitions except for 'data', create a partition for Win7 and an extended partition for your distro.
    In the extended partition you can rummage about, creating and deleting root, home, swap etc partitions without having to deal with the limitation of 4 primary partitions (assuming you don't have GPT) or messing up the Win7 and data partitions.
    All your music, pics an movies are available in linux when you mount the data partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.