Linux And Sun JRE-Argh!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 21:50, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21:50

21:50 Guest

Hello,All,

Realising this is probably the wrong forum (Though at the same time knowing that Meneer is a regular here),please may I ask what I am doing wrong with Mandrake 10?

The basic problem is this:I am trying to install an anti-virus scanner (Hey,it scans both O.Ses-two for the price of one-heh).

I actually installed a commandline-version last night,and it's great.However,in order to activate it/update defs etc,I need Sun JRE.
    I have tried and tried to download and install it-both self-extracting binary version AND the RPM...It turns out to be what Konqueror notes as an "octet stream".
    Suffice to say,these instructions do not work:

http://java.com:80/en/download/help/linux_install.jsp#install-pkg

What am I doing wrong?Do I need to install somekind of package beforehand?
    RPM installs are usually fine.
    I note that Mandrake is not listed by java.com-it was the anti-virus company that states it is necessary on their website.Therefore I'm assuming they must know it is correct.

Thanks to anyone who may have been in this situation and is willing to talk me through what I can try next...With the execption of tarballs!-I'm nowhere near getting my head around those.

2. 22:50

22:50 Guest

I just installed F-Prot as a temporary measure 'til the proper A.V gets sorted.

Managed to update the definitions with no trouble whatsoever.However,I tried to run a scan,and it is utterly unresponsive.
    Does that give any further clues as to what might be missing on my Mandrake install?

I'm afraid to do anything else because I'd absolutely die if i broke Linux!

3. 13:50

13:50 Guest

Well,it seems I have hit a brick wall.I'm not quite certain as to the reason Mandrake 10 does not recognise binary files..

However,I have uncovered a new difficulty today.It seems I need glibc version 2.2 or later to properly install the preferred anti-virus programme.To install glibc,I must first install another load of stuff which leads me into areas far beyond my experience considering I only installed Linux on Sunday.

As I understand it,glibc for Mandrake 10 is only available for those who have joined the members club.$100 per month for ever is not a sum I am able to commit to.

Have not as yet determined why F-prot won't run,but I suspect this will also prove to be an issue which will cost me dearly to rectify.

For now,I have to concede defeat.I'm by no means tempted to boot into XP.I just need to spend the next few months learning about compiling from tarballs.

Thanks anyway,and sorry for bothering you.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

:)

What is the purpose of this Mandrake box? Do you plan to use it as a mailserver/gateway? Or do you need it to scan a windows server?

5. 14.55

14.55 Guest

Hello,Meneer!

It's nothing more spectacular nor adventurous than a desktop installation.No servers,and it's standalone,behind a router plus shorewall.

What can I say?I've been using Windows too long!

I'm dual-booting but needless to say,the Windows installation is replete with every security device/precaution known to man!
    I only need a virus scanner for Linux.

Thanks for answering.

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Hello too :)

You've been using windows too long :)

So far there are a few linux virusses. Very few. Most linux virusscanners are used to scan for virussen in windows content. If you use a linux server as a mailserver or an internet proxy, the server is not vulnerable to windows virusses and it is able to scan for virusses for the windows platform. I would not yet recommend running an av-tool just to protect your linux box. The chance of infection is very very small.

Linux is less vulnerable for virusses and other malware, provided that you secure it enough (what's new?). Primary way to secure a linux box: never use the root account to use/manage your system (the same goes for Windows and other os's, but who does?)

Windows malware is no threat to a linux system. Not even macrovirusses. Of course the code base is different, but also because the software that may host a virus doesn't run with the authorities to allow infection by the malware.

I wouldn't bother installing av on linux to protect linux. I'm running a linux internet gateway that protects my home lan. It is equipped with anti virus and anti spam software, but it's protecting my windows systems. As long as linux virusses are still lab efforts, I can't really see the benefits of a linux virusscanner.

BTW: have a look at clamav for linux. Perhaps it's less demanding than commercial products...

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

glibc is an integral part of linux and all linux dists have it. You may need a newer version than you currently have. Use whatever package manager you use to get the latest version that doesn't break compatibility with existing installed software.

8. 14:00

14:00 Guest

Hello,Guys,

Thank you so much for your very helpful replies.I am terribly sorry it has taken me so long to return to this thread-have been insanely busy at work.

Well,what can I say?I am a total Linux convert!I absolutely adore it.Haven't booted into XP since last we spoke.

With regards to the previous minor difficulties (Only to be expected,I am a total newbie) I never did manage to fully install an anti-virus scanner,but Meneer has put my mind to rest on this matter.I did try Clamav,too.Even Chkrootkit did not install completely properly-and that's foolproof.

I noticed that I have a few CRC errors.I wonder whether either the actual Mandrake ISOs got corrupted during the lenghty download process,or if they were damaged during the burning..

What I have decided to do is invest in some proper commercial packages.I have loads of LIVE! distros I've been trying and I really like SUSe.I also am impressed with the BIT Defender LIVE! CD,so will pick up a commercial Debian/KDE package also.

I am having the best time of my life.Trouble is,I was running out of PCs to install Linux on.....found myself *compelled* to buy more.Heh.

Thank you so much,Meneer.It was all due to reading your postings that made me brave enough to try Linux.You are so great!

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I am not, but you're welcome anyway :D

I would indeed check out Suse. Not only because it's a good dsitribution, but also because of all the efforts that Novell (Suse's owner) is making to support the open source community.

I recently tried another live cd: gnoppix. I like the gnome window manager, it feels more balanced than the kde effort. Also it's a little less Windows like, so I will try to find a way to move over. Once I have the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.