LinModem HELP?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by dw2108, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I realy need to know if there's any way to find files driving Best Data 56HP92-PCT and 56HP92-SL LinModems with ZipSlack 10.0 or BL 1, 2, 3, 3.5. Do these files even exist? Have they ever existed? Is the any way to compile these files w/o messing up hardware? Or is there any point in trying even?

Unless I buy a few new and expensive PCs from IBM, I'm stuck with the choice of buying WinHardware which Linux distros will really blow out in a minute or purchasing very expensive hardware -- with data specs -- which may never be used more than a few times. (Beginning to feel really bad with Linux/Unix/ReactOS since I just got the word from a HW architect that M$ just forced the HW market to more WinHardware with massive orders and co-contractual agreements. We may need to emulate Win 8 just to drive the hardware! M$ is really hitting non-Win systems like the Mafia hitting one little guy just to make a point to all mankind! TAKE HEED and burn Win 8 CD/DVDs!)

But are these files around, feasible, imaginary, so forth?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm confused. If this is for dialup, years back I had to buy an external modem to use with Linux. It was $50 new, I bought a used one for $20. Can't imagine they'd be much in demand now. So you could probably pickup a half dozen used for less than $100.

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Yeah, it's for two old PCs I want to connect to dialup. The prob is, the reliable external modems are now rare, so the price went up tremendously to cover trouble, overhead, antiquity, and sales. I'm looking at approx USD $275.00 per new reliable modem with data specs. I've been in the used before, and prefer not to be there again. The Best Data is driving me nuts. I'm not scoping out the circuit cards just to place Lin on those PC's, and I'm not paying THOSE prices.

Dave

BTW, KDE Ubuntu, and Gnome bugs are misconfiguring monitors and network cards. Ubuntu ruined a network card because it sent too much signal to the hardware. Ditto KDE and a Compaq monitor. This is why I need the BD files. These ought exist somewhere. (And a kernel update will wipe that ought too!)

I'm bullish on Linux/Unix systems but ya gotta have lotsa 'puter parts lyin' 'round.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I looked for less than a minute on eBay. Zoom external modem are $50 shipped new. Zoom makes excellent modems.

Used they're as low as $10 shipped.

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I haven't had to deal with dialup since my Dad (God rest his soul) signed up for HughesNet about a year and a half ago. I'll look into your modem today to see what I can find. If I'm not mistaken there are drivers for it. It depends upon the chipset identifying numbers. I'll let you know what I find.

Mrk did a write up about dialup modems about 2 or 3 years ago. Just search this section for dialup.

Later...

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Thanks for the help, guys. It's really appreciated. I lost cable today completely to squirrells chewing though the cable, which shall be common all through summer. And DSL is killed by line noise echoed back several blocks away, and dialup may become now my only means of accessing the net. OH, THOSE SLOW DOWNLOADS!

Trespasser, I looked at the Best Data modem cards only to find no numbers at all on these. What else can go "rong." If Google had an emergency crisis modem hotline, I'd call it!

Thanks,
    Dave
    Now downloading at a sickening rate of 1.8 KB/sec

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

dw2108,
    Go to this site and download a file named scanModem.gz...

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

then follow the instructions within the gz file. It will determine if there are any drivers available for your two types of dialup modems. You'll need to run it while each modem is installed since they are different from the other. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think the 56HP92-SL has a pretty good chance of working. There's already an sl-modem package in the Ubuntu repos, if that is what you are running.

Best of luck.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.