Linksys BEDSR41

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FluxGFX, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I just to know if there's a couple settings I could add to improve security overhaul....?!

2. FluxGFX

Router users seems to be in a bunch? eh? ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you use a password and set a wep code and your router has a firewall in it I am not sure what more you could do. I am running a linksys Befw11s4 wireless and I feel pretty secure on it.

4. FluxGFX

Big

router is using a 16lenght password composed of letter in lowercase and uppercase, numbers, other characters.

but I was refering to the built in NAT system, with filtering option

Just wondering what tweaks I can put into it ( Has far has wireless goes it's not secure even with a password ) Please lookup on the support pages of Linksys ( they recomend not to use wireless has the password can leak out )

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

my password might leak out. But the wep code is auto generated and has a secondary code that is four lines long and I change it twice a week to be sure. It only takes about ten minutes to change both comps. even if you could see the wep code you can not see the four hidden lines. I make a written back up of the numbers because when I lock them in I can not see them anymore
    And without the wep you don't connect to the network. The password is almost reduntant.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

By virtue of how it works, NAT will stop unsolicited inbound traffic. So there really is no configuring required. The risk comes if you forward any specific traffic through the router to system(s) on the LAN. Unless you are running a service or application that requires the allowing of inbound connections, you do not want to forward any traffic.

One other thing to check is any remote administration option and make sure it is disabled. Most home users do not need this feature enabled.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

Disable your firewall (if you have one) and do the grc.com leaktest. You should find that your computer passes all scans in stealth with just the router in place.

I read somewhere that a NAT router is still one of the most effective home firewalls you can get.

Doug

8. FluxGFX

It's all good boys, everythign is running fine here.

I'm on a 10mb connection stream of a 1gb/switch system via 3 hardware firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.