Linkscanner Lite - worth a punt?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baldrick, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Am using McAfee's SiteAdvisor which seems to give mixed results and was wondering how it compares to Linkscanner Lite which I have heard is considered to be rather good. Am not wishing to start a straight fight between products but rather soliciting views as to the merits of each...not a direct comparision of one vs. the other.:blink:

I hope to be able to decide for myself by comparing the relayove merits of each and testing Linkscanner Lite as well:D

Thanks in advance.

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi BaldRick,

Linkscanner is an excellent product, I'm only familiar with the paid version. The paid version scans the sight real time, before rendering its opinion. Also the malware protection is great, taking the hit before your other defenses, have a chance to know what's going on. Support is excellent, last time I used Link, they had a problem with Comodo FW, the NOD32 issue i believe has been resolved.

Take Care
    Rico

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You can actually run them both at the same time- one for a current, content analysis and the other for a historical analysis.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Would make good testing thanks.

5. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Hi Baldrick,

Now, admittedly I'm a little biased but I think LinkScanner is much stronger than SiteAdvisor. (lol)

The whole thing about web-based exploits is their transience. Anything historically based is always too slow to realize something's been hacked, and then too slow to realize something's been cleaned.

Take, for example, k1-usa.net. This is a mixed-martial arts website, and used to be the number 1 organic link that came up when you googled for k1. It was briefly hacked in April 2007, and was serving exploits from some ip on RBN (Russian Business Network). Neither SiteAdvisor nor google (StopBadware) knew about it at the time (although we did, and told the k1-usa guys about it in fact), and it was cleaned up a week or two later.

In the mean time, however, StopBadWare had found out about it, and now it seems to be permanently besmirched in google. It has slipped from the number 1 spot to about number 8, and you cannot get to it from a google search link ... you have to cut and paste the URL.

And if you put it into SiteAdvisor, it says it's never rated the site, and knows nothing about it.

Now, if you're patched, none of these sites can bite you anyway, but it's nice to know which ones would try.

The single biggest trend that I see as we watch this stuff is transience... the Storm botnet for example is incredibly transient. Another example are the groups whose business model is to buy really cheap .cn websites and work from there. They know they'll be shut down fairly quickly, but they don't care.
    Another example are the groups who like to hack into webfarms, and infect all the sites there in one hit. (We made a video about that at youtube if you're interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jh8lHb49w ). I could go on and on...

Btw, LinkScanner Pro, although not free, is really much better than Lite. Lite can only follow links to a given depth, or it would take too long. And exploits served from banner ads (increasingly common) tend to come up in rotation... not every time. Lite will miss those, but not Pro.

Cheers

Roger

CTO
    LinkScanner.com

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  6. Baldrick

Dear All

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice. All very interesting & useful. :D

I will certainly give Lite a try and see what it can do for me. :D

Not sure about running both SiteAdvsor and Lite. :blink:

Have also spotted TrendProtect and may well try this as it also appears to be interesting...but more like SiteAdvsor than Lite. o_O

7. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

That reminds me.....isnt there something that analyses a link with a right click to tell you if its malware.....useful for links from one site to another

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Dr.Web link checkers?

9. rogert30062

Well, LinkScanner Lite (as well as Pro) does that.

Cheers

Roger

10. Baldrick

Hi Roger

Am a trying at the moment and am impressed with the Pro version (thought I would give your 15 day trial a whirls based on what you said in your post). Has to get past the wife as she is the one who surfs most and is very demanding in terms of (i) speed and (ii) not being disturbed during her surfing. So far I dedect only a very slight degredation in surfing speed (but then my PC is rather old)...but the jury is currently out. Fingers crossed the product passes, eh?

BTW, do you do multiple site licences or does one have to purchase 2 individual licences if I wanted to proect both my and my daughter's laptop?

Regards;)

11. rogert30062

Hi Baldrick,

I'm pleased everything is going well. :) I purely do the research piece, so I'm not sure but there are usually bundled deals if you look the website. Let me know if you can't find something suitable.

Cheers

Roger

12. Baldrick

Thanks. I will bear this in mind and post back if I don't find what I am looking for (as and when I get the pass from the boss, heehee).;)

13. rogert30062

:)

Cheers

14. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Can anyone confirm this, because I would like to test LS Lite out but I obviously do not want it to conflict with Comodo.

15. rogert30062

I just gave it a whirl tonight... worked fine for me.

Roger

16. lucas1985

LS Lite is less likely to cause problems with security software than LS Pro because it doesn't install a LSP to intercept network traffic.

17. rogert30062

That's correct. LSPro sees more, though, because (1) Lite can only look so far ahead or it's too slow (a future release will probably allow power users to control the depth of the crawl) and (2) some bad things are simply dynamic, such as exploits from rotated banner ads.

Cheers

Roger

18. lucas1985

Hello Roger,
    What other features are you planning for LS Lite?
    Thanks in advance.

19. rogert30062

Hi Lucas,

I can't say too much really, but the general direction in which we';re heading is more subtle analysis of pages... not just exploits but more and more social engineering.

Feature requests are always welcome, of course.

Cheers

Roger

20. lucas1985

Sounds like a hard challenge. Trying to detect social engineering attempts looks really difficult.
    Opera support comes to my mind ATM. Also, I like how TrendProtect places the warnings.
    Thanks for your answer :)

21. Baldrick

Still evaluating and looking good!

I think that the option to be able to clear the contents of 'Exploits Prevented' & 'Sites Blocked' panels would be useful.

Also, I am not sure how the application is updated; whether this is automatically like the malware definitions or but the download and manual installation of the new version. If the latter then an automatica application update feature might be useful?

Finally, what about expanding the capabilities by including detailed testing for spam potential, phishing sites and malicious downloads as options that can be enabled/disabled by the user via the Settings panel? Assuming that they would not slow down the application. Just a thought that may be counter to the direction you want to take the product in...but a thought nonetheless.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  22. rollers

rollers Registered Member

working very well here with the new nod32 av RC1. Mine has so far found 8 exploits, 5 of which were Invisible Iframe launchers, and the other two were windows metafile with known payloads. This was especially good as I was not here at the time and another family member was using the computer, so its reassuring to know that the computer is watched when I am away.

Rollers

23. rogert30062

Good thoughts.... thanks!

Roger

24. rogert30062

We'll chew on those ideas too. Thanks!

Roger

25. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

LinkScanner Pro or none
    IMO, LinkScanner Lite is trouble to use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.