LinkScanner Free & Pro released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by QBgreen, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the questions.

I don't think we affect speed on a fast broadband connection. We built it for speed, and in our tests, it is never noticably slow. I think LinkScanner is just the same as SocketShield for regular surfing.

Now, for search engine searching, there _will_ be a slowdown, because it's flat out doing more work. It's accessing every site on the results page, and making an assessment of them. For most people, it's noticable but acceptable, but it does depend on the speed of the webservers being scanned.

If it's a problem in your situation, you can switch out the search engines, and just use either the QuickScan capability as you need it, or rely on the real time scanning.

The LinkScanner version of the SocketShield engine is still capable of seeing many more things than SocketShield.

Roger

2. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Hello, regarding your statements about speed, it seems your product hinders my speedtests greatly.

I trialed Linkscanner Pro, with the search engine scanning disabled.
    First, before the product was installed, ran a speedtest from speakeasy.net/speedtest and received between 19,000-20,000 kbps consistantly for my download speed. After installing your product, I received between 2,000-3,000 kbps consistantly over the span over several tests from the same server.

So, I uninstalled the product again to make sure that there were no other factors involved, and right back to 19-20k on the download speed.

Now I like the entire concept of your product line, and would love to add it to my arsenal, BUT... I'm sure you can understand that a drop in speed like what I'm experiencing is far too much a sacrifice to make for the extra security.

The only thing I can think of that may be conflicting with your product is KIS6 MP1 (6.0.1.411) web scanner. I had to adjust the web scanner's fragment buffer to 16 seconds in order to not experience a slowdown with their product (similar to the same thing that's happening with yours), but I read somewhere in this thread that you guys confirmed compatibility with KIS.

Anyways, nice job on your efforts regardless if my PC isn't playing nicely, and I would still trial for a third time if this could be resolved in the future. Take care.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Roger,

When do you think that the support for Opera will be added to the Lite version?

Regards

4. rogert30062

Hi Mitsu,

It might be that the structure of the speedtest tests doesn't play nicely with us. Does it _feel_ slower with normal surfing?

Thanks for the compliment anyway... we'll certainly try our hardest to resolve your issue.

Cheers!

Roger

5. rogert30062

Hi VC,

To be realistic, it's probably Q2 07. While it's something we'd like to do, we simply have other things that _need_ doing first, and it's already December.

Sorry,

Roger

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for the info ;)

7. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Hi Roger,

Sorry I forgot to mention how it felt, that definitely is an important factor. Loading a very "lite" website was not noticable, but for example loading a site such as yahoo.com, where there are multiple smaller images that all need to be downloaded and rendered normally in a quick amount of time, there was a noticable slow down. I'm also using Opera as my primary browser, not sure if that has anything at all to do with what I'm experiencing, but figured I'd mention it anyways. Keep me in mind, and if you find any more information about this and need a tester, I'd be glad to assist.

8. jb1020

jb1020 Registered Member

Hello Lu_Chin,

I was wondering if you would be willing to enter a support request on our site, so I can help you resolve the loss of network connectivity, you are experiencing.

I did some testing and I installed KIS, OutPost, Online Armor, and LinkScanner Pro, (in that order) with no loss of connectivity. I would like to gather some more information from you about your system.

If you are willing to give us hand, in trying to track down this issue, please enter a support request here.

These issues have been extremely sporadic and we are trying to find the common denominator, in order to resolve the issue. Any help you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all, for your praise and feedback!!

Jon
    Technical Support
    Exploit Prevention Labs

9. SMPRICESOLUTIONS

SMPRICESOLUTIONS Registered Member

I am wondering if any one has/is running Exploit Prevention Labs Linkscanner along side the CallingID Link Advisor And The CallingID Toolbar and noticed any problems?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I discovered this threda just today.
    LS seems a nice application. I am using lite version( on-demand). Still waiting for Opera suport.
    I think pro version might be preferable than web scanner of an AV!

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

How's 'LinkScanner' different than 'SiteAdvisor'? What advantages does LinkScanner have over SiteAdvisor?

Thanks
    Rico

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

LS is more than a database of good/suspicious/bad sites. It analyzes the network traffic via LSP hook and look for exploits in addition to a database provided by CallingID (?) For example, it'll find an .ANI exploit no matter if the sited is trusted or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.