Linkscanner and Siteadvisor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fred128, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I've been trying out Linkscanner. First of all, it can reside alongside Siteadvisor at the same time.
    Does anyone have any thoughts about which one is better?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I myself prefer LinkScanner. I dont really like how SiteAdvisor picks its bad sites.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: If I have to choose only one between these two, I go for LS. As far as I know, Site Advisor just compiles all inputs from anyone, w/0 any creditable filtering or screening function in place, moreover those incoming info could very likely be bad info from bad mouths. I would not intake those from my good mouth, period.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

SA - Uses BOts & depending on the response back determines the rating.

LS - Latest ver. should resolve issue with NOD32, previously was required to remove NOD then install LS then re-install NOD, you would have to do this for upgrades as well. I've been informed by LS tech. is now fixed. Thank God!

LS - Has a problem with Comodo FW, where the site recommendations does not work. LS Tech did not comment on this. LS takes quite sometime to give its thoughts on a google search. LS scans real time each site before giving its opinion.

SA gives it's comments very quickly! So if you have MVPs Hosts, IE-Spyad, Spyblaster - your going to avoid the real ugly places, & you can then have more confidence in SA.

One last thing the guys over at LS are very nice & extremely helpful & accommodating!

Take Care
    Rico

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

LinkScanner gets my vote.:D True running with Comodo FW scans with Google take longer then normal,about 8-12 sec here. cmdagent.exe is to blame,high cpu. Hopefully with Comodo 3 when it is releaced will fix this but other then that work well together on my PC.

6. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

I have not (yet) used LinkScanner.

On the LS web site, there is a movie called "NailedIn30Seconds"... very impressive... must see! :thumb:

For me, safety would win over speed. I have not used LinkScanner, so I have no clue what "slow" is. ;)

Mike

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

The Comdo LS bug is known & LS is working on it. No decision on searches is given on my machine, with Comodo LS. I would disable that portion of LS.

A very nice aspect of LS is that it kills/blocks malware before it has chance to run/install, it's dealt with before your AV wakes up. LS is a great addition, for high risk surfers, or the paranoid.

Take Care
    Rico

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Being that they are totally different types of information gathering, it will depend on which you prefer. LinkScanner Lite is pretty nice with its realtime results while SiteAdvisor can provide historical data and more detailed info about a site (spam emails, malicious downloads, etc). If you can continue using both then that would be a nice combo. Personally, I like LSL but it seemed to affect browsing speed. So between all of the choices available mentioned in this thread I would go with Comodo's Verification Engine.

http://www.vengine.com/

I believe it is the only anti-phishing tool that does not gather tracking history.

Another interesting tool which I have not used is Privacy Bird. It determines which sites collect personal information and alerts users. Plus, as per its privacy policy, PB deletes all user history on a weekly basis.

http://www.privacybird.org/

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Absolutely. But now with OA2 instead of Comodo FW things are a little bit faster,including LinkScanner Pro.;)

EDIT:Back to Look N Stop. OA2 did not like my system.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  11. Sportsfan1212

Sportsfan1212 Registered Member

Have they improved on the speed for the free Linkscanner? I use ZA Pro and Antivir Premium. I tried it once a while back and I had to wait for a minute for the thing to load up. I have a 9 or 10 megs for a second cable connection now.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi

Tried & removed 'TrendProtect' does not work well with Comodo FW. With Google search & Comdo active took forever & every search item was gray with '?', exact same behavior with LS.

So for me its SA or nothing

Take Care
    Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.