Link not working for HJT analysis in LWM post

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Devinco, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U don't get this,

http://a-sap.org/

when u click on the linked image?

BTW, FF 0.93 ;)

snowbound

3. Devinco

Hi snowbound.

In your post just now, I see just a text link:

http://a-sap.org/

that works and goes to a-sap.org, but it is a text link, not a picture link.

The link in LWM's post is the same as my first post: just a text link that links to a picture. It does not link to a-sap.org.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If I click on the ASAP pic your referencing in LWM's post I go to a-sap.org.

IE 6 SP1

Attached Files:

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The URL you show in your first post is merely the URL of the image source itself, not the URL that the image is linked to. This is the code of the image link (the two "*" are added to prevent the forum software from resolving them):

[*url=http://a-sap.org/][*img]http://www.wilderssecurity.com/logos/asap-small.gif[/img][/url]

The mouse-over of that image should show what it is linked to, not where the image comes from. Clicking on the image should bring you to the linked destination, not the image source. It's very standard IMG and URL tagging. Perhaps there's something wrong with the way the browser is configured, or showhow it is drawing the information needed to do a "Save Image As..." or "Save Picture As..." versus actually clicking through to the link site itself, though I can't imagine why or how that all could happen.

6. Devinco

This is strange.

In IE6, I can see it normally like you do bubba.
    In FF, I turned off adblock and still the same.

I will look at the source in ff and post it.

7. Devinco

Here is the source for the link I get in FF 0.92:

<a href="http://a-sap.org/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.wilderssecurity.com/logos/asap-small.gif" target="_blank">http://www.wilderssecurity.com/logos/asap-small.gif</a></a>

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I suggest getting away from that safe browser and using a vulnerable browser\IE ;)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have firefox and I have had problems similar to that. That is why I use opera it doesn't have those beta problems that firefox has.

10. dog

dog Guest

9.3 ... I got no problems ... and I read that post (judging by the date) with 9.2 and no trouble either o_O

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

no probs with Firefox here. 0.9.3

12. dog

dog Guest

13. Devinco

Thanks Guys!

I guess I now have a good enough excuse to upgrade to 0.93!! :)
    I will upgrade and post the results.

14. Devinco

Dog,

No. (still on 0.92) They just show text links to the pics. No picture links.

15. dog

dog Guest

Hey Devinco,

We posted at the same time ... do the picture links in post# 12 work?

dog - *puppy*

16. dog

dog Guest

Twice in a row ... LOL

But you saw it ... sorry it's a no go :( well .9.3 will fix it ;)

17. LowWaterMark

Ah, ha! (dog's post #12 helps to pin-point the problem)

At first, I was thinking it might be a style sheet issue with how FF was rendering that post because the image linked in the announcement makes use of our custom bbcodes "SHADOW" and "GLOW" in order to exaggerate the blue outline around the picture. (I was trying to make it really obvious that the image is also a link by giving it more of the blue coloring outline that many people are used to for active links on webpages.)

Well, the fact that you don't see the IMG tagged images inline in any posts on the forum means that you must have that option turned off in your user profile. (People can choose in the UserCP whether or not they want images to be displayed inline, or if they want them simply displayed as links which they can choose to click on, if interested. This setting makes it faster for dialup users, as less images download when the thread first displays.)

Go into the "UserCP", select the "Edit Options" item, and take a look at the check-box next to "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)[/i]". If that is un-checked, then the forum software won't even try to display any IMG tagged images to you. Instead, you'll just see links to those images rather than the image and it's underlying linked webpage.

Check that box and try viewing this thread again.

18. Devinco

LowWaterMark,

Thank you!! It works now even on 0.92.

Now I know why you have that Sherlock Holmes hat! :)

19. bigc73542

And another mystery solved by Sherlock Watermark and his wonder dog pixel pup ;)

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Nah LWM just has that hat cause I got tired of it and switched to my leather cowboy hat :cool:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  21. bigc73542

Ahh so that's it.

22. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Since my mind's not entirely with it, one clarification please on LWM's excellent explanation?

LWM, if I've understood you right, you're referring only to profile settings here regarding images, not to IE settings? That is, on most sites which use the common thumbnail-as-link arrangement, if I unticked "show pictures" in Internet Options the link should still work properly even if the pic (thumbnail) doesn't display?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

23. LowWaterMark

Correct. In the UserCP under the 'Edit Options' section you'll see the setting I am referring to. It is just a local vBulletin setting that each member can choose to set either way. (see image below)

Right, though I'm not sure today how many people have 'show pictures' turned off in IE. I know that was popular in the past to speed up page display time on slow dialup connections, but I can't imagine the mess it'd make of some websites today that have so many images in them.

I looked at using the thumbnail option here but the quality of the thumbnails the forum generated just didn't seem good enough, so I have that feature disabled.

Attached Files:

24. LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.