Lindows 2 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crockett, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi;

http://www.lindows.com/

Anyone ever heard of this one ? Any comment ?!

Rgds, Crockett :)

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Good stuff..WalMart has it.

3. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

It does indeed good look, I remember a thread about it way back,I think it was in here.
    I f anyone has used/knows someone who has used I'd be very interested to read about it.

4. root

root Registered Member

I think in time, it may provide M$ some serious competition.
    I've heard both good and bad about it, but I think the bottom line is it's new and needs some seasoning.
    I'll definitely be checking it out in the not so distant future.
    Glad to see version two already.

5. root

root Registered Member

Came across a must read for those interested in Lindows.
    Please read me.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Yup! If you want to purchase Lindow$ 2.0 with Netscape 7 it will costs you $199..
    Major rip off!

Technodrome

7. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Agreed, Technodrome.

Especially in light of the fact that Lindows has had to admit defeat in their prime mission of an OS that would be 100% Windows compatible. That's out the door - and too bad. It's basically a crippled Linux OS and it supports certain Microsoft "bridge" programs.

This 2.0 release is far from what people were led to believe it would be just a few months back. You said it right, a $199 ripoff.
    John
    Luv2BSecure
    ------
    Here is a good piece from TechTV:

Top Ten Facts about Lindows

Things you should know about Lindows but were afraid to ask.

By Patrick Norton

Ten things you should know about Lindows before you buy.... er, subscribe.

If you don't have a fast (broadband) Internet connection, you don't want Lindows.

For $99 online, you get a fast 300 MB installation of Lindows, which is essentially a stripped down Linux distribution).

You also get the right to download applications from the Click-N-Run Warehouse (ever hear of Apt-Get?)

Click-N-Run is real simple: Click on the link, it downloads and installs that application.

Those $299 and up Microtel machines that run Lindows require a $99 subscription if you want to Click-N-Run more than three applications.

Lindows is no longer about making it easier to run Windows applications on Linux. Your apps might work under WINE, they might not.

Lindows is about "supplying all your software needs for $99."

The vast majority of those Click-N-Run applications are available free online, or bundled with other Linux distributions. The Lindows installation method should be less traumatic for newbies. The lack of apps in the installation is why Lindows is so small.

Lindows is a work in progresss. For your $99 Lindows subsciption, you get continuing updates, and a request for feedback to help Lindows design a better OS.

I like the idea, but I'm waiting for Lindows' general release in September. If you're a supergeek, download a more mainstream Linux distribution. If you're not patient (and you only own one machine) I'd at least wait until September before I invested in Lindows.

John's Note: Of course, the big September release of 2.0 has come and gone since the above was written. It turns out to be a "pretty" OS that will run everything from their own library - programs you "rent" and "subscribe" to. Mostly Linux programs you can download other places free. Too bad. Another alternative OS down the tubes.

Posted Originally On TechTv
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/linux/story/0,24330,3394299,00.html

8. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

So solly - Lindows is offishaw Chinee version of WindOS 3.11, velly advanced. :D

9. root

root Registered Member

Yeah, after doing a little more reading, I have decided Lindows is not what my first impression was.
    I'm also hearing from some Mac users that it is far from perfect too.
    Yelling at the top of my voice, JAVACOOL, we need a new OS, PLEASE!!!

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

What about Lycoris? It's either been released or should be soon. I've read a little about it and it seems to be real linux in a relatively user friendly environment. I'm not sure about MS software compatability. I read that they were trying to resolve that angle.

11. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I've got high hopes for Lycoris. Hopefully won't be deceived.
    In meantime running Knoppix, which offers the convenience of running everything from CD.
    Does as much as Mandrake 9 rc2 did without having to install anything.

12. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Mickey, any pointers, please? Never heard of this before. Tx

Edit to clarify: Knoppix? Whassat?

13. luv2bsecure

Hummm....Lycoris.....I haven't heard of it either. Ready to learn more.

I'll tell you what - I still have my Commodore 64 with BASIC out in the garage, or my old Amiga is in the attic.

Come to think of it -- I have a Mead Spiral Notebook (Version 2.0) complete with an AOL "NoteBook Version" 2000 hour trial right here in my top desk drawer - very mobile. And, right here next to my desk, I have a Royal Typewriter with SP2.

:)

John
    Luv2BSecure

14. root

root Registered Member

15. luv2bsecure

Hey - I LIKE THAT!
    A lot!

This is so much better than Lindows (at least Lindows as it is now) because Lycoris is a true Linux OS and they have done a knock-out job with the UI. They are not afraid of criticisms that it "looks like Windows" --- well, yeah, it does -- but what are we used to? Why make it look "different" just so it doesn't "look like Windows?" Why the need for so many Linux people to "out-geek" the next guy?

I am very, very impressed.

Thank you, Mickey for bringing this to our attention!!!

And to think of all those free Linux programs out there just waiting to be plucked! The OS is reasonably priced too! That took a lot of work - and $29.95 is a fair price to Lycoris.

In case you want to go straight to the tour of Lycoris - here's the URL:
    http://www.lycoris.com/products/desktoplx/desktop/

John
    Luv2BSecure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.