Limit number of differnetial backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by homers, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homers

homers Registered Member

Is there a way TI 9.1 (tool, or technique) that will allow me to automate by backup proceedure by limiting the number of differential backup. By this I mean I would like to make a full backup then up to 6 weekly Diff backups, On the 7th week, backup 1 is deleted, on the 8th week, backup 2 is deleted, etc.

I know Differential backups are larger than Incremental, but I believe they are they only way one can automate having several weeks of backups without making full copies.

If TI is not the right Acronis product, what is?

Thanks

h

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

If you have both full and diff/incremental scheduled to run in the same directory whenever the base is overwritten the child images are then orphaned allowing them to be overwritten. If you combine this with multiple directories and schedules you can have a continual rolling backup. This post shows how I create a rolling month of daily backups, the same principle can obviously be applied to weekly backups:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=846178&postcount=4

F.

3. homers

homers Registered Member

Terrific!! I was not aware that orphaning resulted in the incremental backups to be overwritten.

Is it possible to write an incremental backup in directory2 based on a full backup in directory1?

Thanks for responding.

h

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

No.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.