LimeWire CEO Assures Congress: Privacy Safeguards Are in Place

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by snowdrift, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

http://feeds.wired.com/~r/wired/index/~3/TOugq8JpEac

"Congress decides to re-examine whether LimeWire and other P2P software pose threats to privacy and national security after an Iranian IP address downloads detailed schematics for president Obama’s helicopter. Wired.com obtains an advance copy of LimeWire's response to Congress."

Do you really think this is about leaked helicopter schematics, or about a subtext to control P2P in general, under the guise of terrorism protection? I say the latter. Why would anyone have the helicopter's schematics anyway? Hard to tell if this is a true story, or a planted one.

What crock.

2. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I was under the impression they were already all over p2p, how do you think they figured out someone downloaded leaked helicopter schematics?

This is seriously Nothing new, the government has been all over P2P for years, and will continue to monitor it regardless of what anyone thinks, after all it is P2P!

Ill informed noobs use Limewire, stupid thing gave me a Keylogger, or some kind of trojan every time I used it, Hackers use Limecrap to infect peoples machines by hiding trojans and keyloggers in Music and Video files!

3. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Limewire doesn't pose a threat to national security or privacy, the idiots that improperly use it do.
    If you are on a work machine with sensitive documents, you should not be installing p2p software on it..this kind of stupidity gives the idiots in congress a reason to scrutinize p2p (among others) software...all in the name of national security.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

How exactly do you hide trojans and keyloggers in music and video files - or rather not how you place code into them, that's trivial, how do you make this code do anything other than pollute and inflate the files? The answer is - people download executables and infect their machines and then blame the technology for it. As simple as that.

P2P is not a place, hence the government (which government by the way?) can't be all over it. People participate and share files. What they share is their problem.

Mrk

5. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

United States of America...

Seems the democrats are trying to stick their nose into everything... but then... the CIA and FBI have already been there and with all the complaints from the music and video industry they STILL haven't figured out what steps they want to take...

Although you do hear of a bust every now and then where someone has been downloading a lot of music and movies 24x7 to the point his ISP complained and called in the officials...

Heck... Comcast now has a policy if you download a certain amount that you are exceeding the bandwidth of a normal private citizen and thus they charge you for a business line and fine you on top of that... a friend of mine got a surprise in the mail when he opened his bill...

I think the USA needs to worry more about how the plans got out of their locked cabinets and supposedly locked computers rather than how they moved across a P2P network... but I don't think they really want to go there... too many leaks to plug that way...

Regards -
    -Bob

6. Warlockz

People convert music and video files to many different formats, which in turn changes the file anyways, so who is to say which file size is corrupt or not

How do you hide a keylogger or trojan inside a Music or video file, Hmn? nothing is impossible!

Here is a small example of how one might do it, and its not the only way just a simple example!

remote.png

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. Warlockz

Whats so great about limewire, I mean what is so great that you can download from their that you would waist your time going threw all the trouble and risks?

Torrents are way better than limewire!

8. Mrkvonic

Your example is meaningless.

You can append any code to any file. This means nothing. The question is what the application trying to run the file will do - in case of music players, they will simply ignore the code. Audio players transform wave forms, compressed or not, fourier thingie and whatever, into sound. That's all. Fancy ones also do a little more, but that still does not make them into system kernel.

I wrote that in my first post - other than pollute and inflate the files ... I can make a file that has 200 executables all mashed together. And? Boring. Besides, you did not show the final file output or its type. And appending a keylogger engine ... boo hoo ... There are more exciting things you can do with steganography.

You want a very crude example. Take a virus file and change its extension to .old or .txt and see what Windows does with it.

Besides, speaking of mp3 and such, what you choose to download and run on your machine is your problem. Not a technology limitation. No different than eating wild mushrooms. Up to you to decide what you wanna do. You might as well blame the nature for being stupid.

Mrk

9. Warlockz

Download limecrap, install it on windows xp, and see for yourself! how do you think they hid viruses in jpeg files, that were able to infect the user who clicked on the jpeg, and that is old news, theirs nothing new about it!

But im not going to sit on here and argue endlessly about it, I know what ive read, seen and experienced, and nothing is going to change what I have seen and been thru, so save your breath and have a nice day!

My advice is if your using XP avoid using limecrap in the first place, Period, because its not worth the trouble it will bring you, and if you do it anyways, be prepared to get infected!

10. Mrkvonic

I'm not going to download "limecrap" as I have p2p apps that answer my needs. JPEG problem was an issue in 2004 and it was patched. Since nothing is going to change your mind, then what's the point of arguing, eh?

Mrk

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I think the irony of that last sentence just blindsided me like a Mack truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.