Lightweight registry/filesystem protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by danielrego, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielrego

danielrego Registered Member

Hello all,

I've recently decided to opt for a lightweight, low-resource security setup, that doesn't impact system performance while still offering all the security I need, without much overlap or overkill.

For realtime protection, I've decided to use Avira AntiVir Personal (free) as an AV solution, and Returnil for virtualisation. My rationale here is that Avira, known for its excellent detection and light resource usage, will be competent enough at tackling viruses and/or malware (atleast to a passable extent for the latter), while Returnil acts as a safety net for what gets through Avira. If i DO get infected, a reboot solves any major problems.

I'm looking for a lightweight but effective program to monitor and protect areas like the registry, startup, sensitive files and file system areas (%WINDOWS%, /system, /system32 and the like).

I was quite impressed with MJ Registry Watcher, which seems to satisfy all my criteria, and if light on resources. It relies on more polling (configurable interval) rather than constant realtime hooking, which may be somewhat less secure, but is much less demanding of the system. I've also used Winpatrol in the past, but found it rather too basic.

Can anyone suggest some programs that might fit what I'm looking for?

I also would love a discussion of my plan and its weaknesses or benefits, etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Windows Defender has a real time reigistry watcher in Spynet mode, Win Patrol plus does as well.

3. danielrego

danielrego Registered Member

About WinPatrol - I find WP's monitoring, especially of the registry to lack enough transparency and customisation.

What I really liked about MJ Registry Watcher was how it allowed you to easily add any desired registry keys, filesystem areas, and files to be monitored.

I haven't tried Windows Defender yet, from what I read, it seems to be fairly competent. Thanks, will check it out.

4. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi ,

DEP for all

Seconfig XP ( 54 KB on HD )

StartupMonitor ( 84 KB on HD )

SpywareBlaster ( 3.88 MB on HD )

... That's all ! ...with AntiVir ...

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

As Arup mentioned, give Windows Defender a try while on 'advanced membership'. It gives you updates on any system changes.

Any files/programs that keep appearing can be excluded in the options screen, under 'do not scan these files or locations'. See below.

Attached Files:

6. tetsuo55

tetsuo55 Registered Member

7. Arup

Arup Guest

And do remember apart from Comodo, Windows Defender is the only x64 HIPS and has way less impact on system.

8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Have you tried DriveSentry?

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I second LUA+SRP. Follow the link above.

10. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

LUA+SRP+DFT+AR+MakeMeAdmin

No one needs to get malware. The above combination puts all 'malware game players' on all sides out of business. Stop messing around in the Internet with an Admin user account with a half-dozen 3rd-party 'hooking' programs running in the background.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  11. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

not quite sure if it is lightweighted enough for you, i think eqsecure is good enough.

and some times i use tinyfirewall. without additional hips.

12. progress

progress Guest

Is there another light tool beside MJ Registry Watcher and TeaTimer? :blink:

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

WinPatrol Plus;)

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

15. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

There's a freeware app for file monitoring at Snapfiles called Monodir or Monidir and it alerts you regarding any files/folders you set it to monitor, and it uses few resources. Also, you may wish to try Sentinel (freeware) or WinPooch with the Statup list compiled by someone who posts and shares wisdom here at these forums. (My apologies for not recalling the poster's name.)

Dave

16. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

P.S. WinPooch, if you decide to use it, can be used also as a low-resource on-access (but no realtime) scanner which you can configure the pooch to use from AntiVir, BD FREE, A2-AntiMalware, Mamutu, A2 Free, ClamAV (NOT MY FIRST CHOICE) and many others.

Dave

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

does enabling Windows Defender in Vista add any slowdowns for any of you, both on startup and while in use?

18. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Too many acronyms. People must be scared of spelling.
    I even tried Acronym Finder but the results are overwhelming. :argh: :D

EQSecure is a decent product, especially with Alcyon's Rules. I am happy he was willing to share his work.
    Malware Defender is similar to EQS. Alcyon and Kees are the resident names I'm aware of who share their work with both products.

For a file monitor there is File Checker, though not sure about it's resource usage. I don't think it does registry though. It also has a Header in Wilders under Official Javacool Software. Here.

What OS are you using? XP, Vista? x32, x64?
    XP can use everything, Vista some softwares might conflict and Vista x64 might not need the softwares listed. Patchguard is a feature of x64 editions of Microsoft Windows, preventing Kernel Patching.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No slowdown on my Vista laptop but it is new so memory and Processor are towards the top of the range.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

21. neksus

neksus Registered Member

It could easily be EQSecure with Application Protection turned off - it's pretty tight with default rules, and you can shape it the way you like with additional rules that can make registry/filesystem protection even more
    thorough.

But if the only goal is protection of autostart registry entries and core windows files, these two can be helpfull:

Arovax Shield:
    http://www.arovaxshield.com/

System Protect:
    http://www.system-protect.com/

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Wuld windows defender actually add any extra protection to what my current realtime setup is?

23. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I have the bitter feeling that I am the only one using Real Time Defender :(

24. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

i did like it when i was on XP but its development halted and unfortunately before vista support.

25. progress

progress Guest

So TeaTimer monitors more keys? o_O

Thank you ;)

This one comes with Crawler Toolbar (!) :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.