Lightweight Portable Security

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Konata Izumi, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06794

is this recommended for a linux newbie? o_O

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Konata Izumi,

Check out these links:
    A Linux Distribution from the US Department of Defense.

I assume that last remark was "toungue-in-cheek", i.e. what everyone fears and may even think, but is not proven (as yet)! :) I am sure the paranoid believe it has a backdoor!

Lightweight Portable Security (LPS)-A Linux distro from the US Department of Defense.

When they say that "The LPS system does not mount the hard drive of the host machine, so no trace of work activity can be written to the local computer.(1)", sure no hard disk can be written to unless you first mount it, so the question becomes one of whether or not the distribution has the commands to detect hard drives (fdisk), and (mount), and (sudo for a default user) to be able to issue the mount command which can only be done with root access to actually let the user mount his own local disks as needed to save something.

I do not know whether I would recommend it for a linux newbie without first trying it, but if it does not have the above 3 commands cited, and does not accept other means of data trasnfer e.g. USB, then it would not likely be useful to most anyone.

-- Tom

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Why does anything released by a government of any kind automatically have to be something bad? Why not take it at a face value - a lightweight, portable, security, distro. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Mrk

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

An alternative download site is at sourceforge, however, I haven't yet been able to download the release (135MB) from either the origin website or sourceforge.

Anyone have any luck downloading it?

-- Tom

5. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

I read the blurb on Lightweight Portable Security. It is not very detailed, as a consequence it does not explain what is different about this distro relative to any other distro that can be burned in NON Persistent mode.

I am quite interested in this distro, its credentials seem impeccable, that is, created by the Department of Defense.

1) Can anybody explain what particular features are built in that set it apart (in security terms) from other distros?

2) If this distro is put on a flash drive in non persistent mode is it likely to be as secure as a live cd?

Thanks

Terry

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I gave LPS a try. The fonts are very difficult to read, even when I drop the screen resolution. I was not impressed.

7. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From hxxps://spi.dod.mil/COOP/docs/LPS_DS_remote_access.pdf:
    Also, Lightweight Portable Security is updated fairly regularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.