Lightest AT

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by StevieO, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I would like to hear about which is the lightest AT to have running in the background all the time please

StevieO

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I guess Boclean, a2 and TrojanHunter are the lightest to run StevieO

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

BOClean seems to be the lightest on my setup. Running on a 1.8GHZ laptop, 768MB RAM.

4. john2g

john2g Registered Member

BOClean :)

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

On my system, because of possible conflicts with ProcessGuard, BOClean is relatively instense on CPU. Ewido somewhat less. I would choose Ewido.

Rich

7. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I would go with A-Squared. Doesn't use any CPU apart from when you launch an app, and uses about 14MB. Very impressed after testing it for a few days. Looking forward to version 1.7.

Ewido spikes CPU to about 10% every 10 seconds or so.

8. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

A-Squared is the lightest AT.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Same here. I have licensed full versions of both programs.

BOClean is the lightest in terms of a memory footprint, compared to Ewido's Guard, but I am regularly seeing spikes of over 65%, depending upon which AV it runs with.

Dr Web is the only AV, out of several I have tried, which can run alongside BOClean without seeing these high CPU spikes. And this is with a special build of BC.

However, although Ewido's Guard is more memory hungry, I am not seeing any high CPU usage with this AT, except on startup, which is normal.

10. ,.-

,.- Guest

i don´t think that ewido´s guard is memory hungry, it just check at the first run all running processes and later only when a new process will be started and the memory scan in the scanner is fast and doesn´t need much resources, check the memory scan of TDS..you can go shopping during the memory scan of TDS. And btw Boclean i read some posts here that it has some performance problems with Process guard.

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Agreed. But if you read carefully my previous post I was comparing it with the BOClean Guard ;)

Performance problems with BOClean may be related to both Process Guard and the particular AV program you are running. In both cases, Kevin will work with you to try and solve the problem. At least one of his special builds worked for me with both PG and my AV.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I use in various contexts, TDS3, Ewido, and BOClean. Of these three (I have not used a²), BOClean is the lightest and what I have running realtime on all my machines.

Blue

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

15. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

Thats a known "bug" (its not really a bug, its more a quirk of Windows' memory management). Try to start a big application so Windows is forced to allocate a huge amount of memory. That will "fix" the memory listing.

We already fixed that with version 1.7. We don't plan to backport that fix to 1.6 cause its more a cosmetic problem. The system performance isn't affected at all. Or did you notice a performance impact? :)

By the way ... here is a screenshot of my memory usage of a² (~12 mb is ok if you remember 6mb is used only by loaded signatures ;)):

Attached Files:

16. ,.-

,.- Guest

I would like to mention that ",.-" is not identical to the person "Gunner" who has previously posted in this forum under the aforementioned pseudonym ;-)

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

This is true...

and no...

18. Don Pelotas

Ok, sorry if i offended you. Just someone else with the same username then. :)

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Sorry didn't mean it that way Don... Sorry just a little tired, lack of sleep (been studying for college finals).

20. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

BTW thanks for the reply Andreas... Sounds like the quirk that windows has during Dr.Web's memory scan.

21. Don Pelotas

No worries. Good luck with the college finals. :cool: :)

22. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

Depends on your processor, your ram, and what you do with it:

1) BOclean, it's easy on the memory, but can be hard on the processor.
    The cpu usage spikes can effect your online game play.

2) TDS-3 (executive protection), heavy on the memory, easy on the processor. Works great just for the "guard", But heavy all around when scanning.

I own both, I have 2.8 P4 with 2 gigs ram, I switch around for different scenarios.

23. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Thanks for the responses.

I tried TDS and think it has potential to be a worldwide winner, but the interface and various options can be confusing and put me off somewhat, and i'm sure it would/does many other possible users.

BOClean also looks very good, not the website but don't judge a book by it's cover hey, but i don't think they do a trial otherwise i would try it out and maybe buy it, so again lost custom for them too.

I have tried Trojan Hunter which seems and looks nice, and i am going to try Ewido also afterwards.

Right now i'm trying out a2 which seems pretty good so far, but not the best looking, but again not the most important criteria for me. For others, again it might be a point or two which also works against them too.

So quite a few to choose from, even though i know there are more out there. If the some of the makers could spend just a little more time on appearance and simplification, i think they would gain many more converts.

StevieO

24. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Instead of a trial we offer a 30 day no questions asked money-back guarantee for BOClean, IEClean and NSClean. There's nothing to lose in trying it, and that includes the registration codes (which we don't use, so they can never be lost).

25. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I gave A2 Free a whirl on my machine. Definitely very low memory and CPU usage. The lowest of the bunch that I have licenses for (TrojanHunter, TDS-3, BOClean, Ewido). The question is whether it is getting the low resource usage while still providing somewhat equivalent protection. I have used the other products long enough to guage their capabilities. A2 is definitely one that I will be watching around for comments.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.