lifetime subscriptions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hello2007, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Sorry, I am unaware of any top-tier, mature products that have lifetime license.

2. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Well I guess we have to pause this debate for a few years then :p

3. overangry

overangry Registered Member

"Sadly some are naive enough to believe the myth that the LIFETIME license is a sign of altruism from developers"
    Am I missing something? I'm naive because I pay $90 for a lifetime license only to find 2 years down the track I have to pay $20 per annum to continue using a product I have already paid for?
    "it is a ploy to create a critical mass of users by relying on the "get something for free" greed mentality of the general populace."
    Something for FREE what are you talking about? You may want to get out your dictionary and check the definition of the following FREE, PAID, LIFETIME.
    I have paid licenses for all of my security products, do youo_O

If anything I am guilty of trusting a company that has deceived me with dishonest marketing practises, yes I may even be naive, that is why I would never use there product again:D

4. Wildest

It is wise to leave open the possibility of exceptions to the rule. :D

Best regards,
    W.

5. Wildest

IMO, given the extremely fast pace of change in this industry, it is unwise to attempt to predict the degree of satisfaction one has with a product beyond three years.

6. overangry

I totally agree with you! If I'm not happy with the product then I can choose to discontinue its use, lifetime licence or not, that's my choice.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Well, the Outpost lifetime license was a good deal at $39.95. But as soon as I got it, the company changed the new version so that it doesn't work well with my AV. So I'll be wary of lifetime offers from now on.

8. Wildest

This is true; likewise if you choose to believe in the myth of the great value of the lifetime license, it is your choice.

9. Wildest

I rest my case.
    ;)

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

So you never want Lifetime licenses to include new versions, you want it only to be good for the current version?

Acadia

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, I didn't say that - but I found out you never know what will happen with software. Who knows when they will change it back, or if they will.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When I got a lifetime Ewido license I did not expect it to last my lifetime. It lasted enough years that I got more than my money's worth over the free time of it, and the subsequent AVG follow on.

If one does not trust the vendor, or believes it is a detriment to the company then don't buy one.
    I currently have one for Win Patrol, and two for SAS. I am not disappointed in those applications, and have no regrets.

If you want one, buy it. If not skip it. Same about freebies. If you like them get them, if not buy them. Isn't that simpleo_O?

Regards,
    Jerry

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Assuming the software is a good one, I would pay for a lifetime license as a convenience factor rather than saving a few dollars in re- subscribing. Just get it and forget it. No more counting down to re-up day. If you can keep the software fore some years, "lifetime" is nice. As an example, Superantispyware. Every so often it updates and I keep using it. ;)

14. Wildest

While I firmly believe in the concept of YMMV, IMO SuperAntispyware was a good product which is fast becoming ineffective, just like Ad-Aware, so the lifetime license is indeed a necessary lifeline (pun intended) for dying software such as this.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Excuse my ignorance of some abbreviations, but what is YMMV? :D As for SAS, I disagree with your statement that it is becoming ineffective. It has removed some real nasties to date.

16. overangry

your right it should be that simple... the choice is yours;)

17. Wildest

Of course the choice is entirely yours.

The choice is also entirely yours to take a risky gamble that:
    1. The company will be around next year.
    2. The software will always retain the features that you like.
    3. The developer will maintain the same development pace...

It is my choice not to take such risky gamble; to each his own. :)

My regards.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's usually $40. Some folks bet that on a horse. :D

19. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

It probably okay for amateurs / students like MBAM to have a product with a lifetime license - it will be pocket money for them whilst they are learning etc, but its is not a viable business model - particuarly for a company that has just one product. None of the businesses who operaate this way will be around long. No corporations would do business with them.

Puss.

20. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

When then there is far more $ to be made in the corp sector (where there obviously is yearly renewals/contracts) why does anyone need to soak the home sector ?

21. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Indeed, but you dont have any corporate clients do you.

22. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I cant tell you specifics but we are on pace to pass 50% revenue home:copr within 12 months .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.