License Expired notifications

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Dan_Thumper, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Thumper

Dan_Thumper Registered Member

Greetings! First time using ESet support here.

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem where NOD32 doesn't offer any notifications that ones license had expired for an extended period ?

It happened to me today with a dialog telling me that license had expired 146 days ago and I can guarantee that I have never seen this before.

Furthermore, I have used NOD32 since April, 2005 and this is now the second time this has happened to me and, disappointing, forces me to buy a new license for two computers at the full price.

I keep my tray clean and many icons hidden, so perhaps this is the root of the cause. NOD32 taking focus and presenting me with the dialog might be the only way it could do this.

Anyhow, I'm just curious if other are having this issue and if so, perhaps NOD32 might become aware of this potential issue.

Dan

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET starts notifying you about 15 days before your license is due for renewal. If the license expires, further updates are not possible which is indicated by a changed program status (a bubble telling you that the program requires your attention would start popping up besides the system tray icon). Have you checked your license expiration date via Help -> Verify license validity?

3. Dan_Thumper

Dan_Thumper Registered Member

That sounds like what I would expect ... a bubble notification or a dialog to tell me that the subscription is about to expire or has expired. However, I received nothing until the dialog popped up yesterday.

The information on that dialog, and the about box, is correct. It reports that my license expired on the 8th of July, nearly five months ago, and I was able to confirm that in the emails.

The only thing that I can think happened is that I hid the NOD32 tray icon and that caused all notifications to be hidden, as well. I am using Windows 7 and setting I was "Show only notifications".

Therefore, I can offer these suggestions:

1. To users, do not hide your tray icon in anyway!

2. To ESET, please, either detect the icon is hidden (perhaps by the fact the user has not clicked to acknowledge notifications for 'x' days) or via the Windows API (if that were possible), in order to present a regular dialog informing the user of subscription status.

This mistake has caused me to spend an extra 50% over the renewal which I do because I appreciate the NOD32 product so much. It is a great product, one I recommend freely.

Cheerios!

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.