LibreOffice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Actually I need to copy the formulas, but it copies them with a reference file name and values. I just need to create an exact copy and it is impossible in 3.5.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I honestly think that the Document Foundation are pulling a 'Mozilla' & going too fast too soon. I have the feeling that they desperately want to make their mark & prove themselves. I was initially impressed with this enthusiasm & regular upgrading, but to release an upgrade without the ability to run a relatively straightforward Powerpoint/Impress presentation is dropping a serious bollock.

I installed OpenOffice on my desktop computer when I had it custom built just over a year ago. It is invaluable to me. I installed LibreOffice when it came out & ran both of them (one for back-up). With the last release of LibO it was advised to uninstall any versions of OpenOffice. Only recently I uninstalled OO 2.4 from my notebook.

I have to go with what I can trust, so I have gone back with OpenOffice. Just a word of warning, if you download OpenOffice 3.3.0 it may try to install an out of date version of Java in the installation process. Avoid this if your (32 bit) Java is up to date as it can cause problems which can only be solved by a fresh install of 32 bit Java.

I doubt whether I'll be installing LibO again for a long time (if ever). OpenOffice works, is stable & isn't unnecessarily upgraded every ten minutes or so. I've used it for at least four years, apart from the few months hiatus of using LibO, & it has never let me down.

3. Daveski17

I wouldn't bother, it's rubbish. Do yourself a favour & install Apache Open Office & word process, spreadsheet & make presentations to your heart's content!

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Let's see. LibO 3.5 is slated to be packaged with Ubuntu 12.04. If it works for me, I'll continue using it. I use Calc the most and Writer a bit. I don't use the other aspects.

BTW,
    http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/
    and
    http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Users-f1639498.html
    are a couple of additional places to get help. The first is useful for both AOO and LibO. The second is only for LibO (AFAICT).

Edit: there's this as well, -http://ask.libreoffice.org/questions/-, looks very much the askubuntu one.

5. Daveski17

Hopefully it will work well on Ubuntu for you.

OK thanks for the links. Now, if only I could remember my OO forums password! ;)

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Won't they send you a new one?

Re. LibO on Ubuntu, I'll be first making a Live USB and checking things out. I've invested quite a bit of my (and other people's) effort in setting up Calc just the way I like it and I won't be amused to find that an update trashes all that!

7. Daveski17

It's OK, I think it's written down in my 'Important Passwords not to forget ... Do Not Lose This Little Book' book.

Very wise.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The nature of the formula should make it necessary to copy a reference.
    Code:
    Original: =(C14/SUM($'Page 2'.J42))*B4 
    Maybe I don't understand correctly, but it seems that at least two sheets are required for this formula since there is reference to a cell, J42, on what seems to be another sheet, 'Page 2'.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Source

10. Daveski17

I hope they've fixed the bugs that were bugging me. Either way, I'm not returning to LibO any time soon.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm currently exploring Google Docs. For a long time I thought it would not be appropriate for me because of my pathetic internet speed but I'm pleasantly surprised!

12. Daveski17

I think it has changed somewhat recently. I always worry when Google feel the need to 'improve' stuff. Google Docs can actually be quite useful. I use it a bit, unfortunately the ridiculously over-the-top security on our work laptops won't let me access documents on it. Which sort of defeats the object if you ask me. :mad:

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

IMO, they are improvements. Anyway, that seems to be the trend with most software companies, so rather than whinge about everything new, I'm playing along and adapting as best as I can.

14. Daveski17

*Cough* Of course they are. :rolleyes: (They aren't reading your posts you know, well maybe ... ) ;)

Yes, evolution, adapting to environments, survival of the fittest. That's why humans are at the top of the food chain.

Resistance is futile ...

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

18. Daveski17

Yes, but does 3.5.3 actually function properly? None of these Speedy Gonzales like upgrades are encouraging me to change back from OpenOffice. In fact, it appears that Apache are going to take their time with the next OO upgrade. Seems wise to me.

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'll know in about 6 months because Ubuntu provides updates of LibO every six months if they feel the updates aren't security-related or critical in some other way. I'll just enjoy 3.5.2 till then. From what I read of the politics involved, I'd use anything, even SkyDrive, than the Apache version.

BTW, kudos on "In fact, it appears". The English, she's alive and well.

20. Daveski17

Politics aside, I just need an office suite that is dependable, reliable & works; LibO isn't any of those things. I think in about five years or so it could be a contender. I'm an anarchist anyway, what do I care about politics?

Hmmmm .... *Ponders the use of the definite article & overall syntax in that sentence.* ;)

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

WFM. I guess I'm not an "advanced" user :(

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

23. Daveski17

I only really use Writer & Impress. In my experience LibO has always been a bit glitchy. Maybe this is more of a 'Windows' thing than anything else, IDK.

I had problems with even running the portable (Portable Apps) off a USB stick. The desktop LibO seemed crash-happy if you set it to start in the systems tray, amongst various other minor gremlins. Plus, I can't even run both OO & LibO together now (LibO claims that both programs share file paths & so can't be run together), which I'm not so sure isn't a bit of a 'pork pie'.

I gave LibO several months of evaluation, but when I couldn't even run/compose a fairly simple Impress presentation I had to seriously re-evaluate my use of it. I ended up composing & eventually running that presentation (for my students) on a portable version of OO (3.2). I decided to re-install OO on all of my PCs & remove LibO.

I understand that the Document Foundation want to prove themselves & it's good that the program is being developed by others, & not just Apache, but I honestly think that they are overreaching themselves a bit. As I said earlier, in a few years it may mature into a really great program.

I just need a solid dependable office suite, unfortunately LibO is not that.

24. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I don't like all these updates... I don't feel anything changed. And each time it's a big download and totally uninstall and install. Very very annoying to me.

25. Daveski17

And that was the other reason I changed back to OpenOffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.