LibreOffice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

I thought I would dig up this old thread. How is LO version 4 working for everyone?

2. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

Better than ever (including faster startup times).

3. jo3blac1

Yeah I am blown away by it's start up speed. Any formatting issues however? I am mostly going to use this for PowerPoint presentations and short write ups.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

IMO, "PowerPoint and Impress don't like each other".

5. Jaspion

I can't say much about presentations, but I've tested a few here and I saw no major problems (although I haven't tested any presentation created by LO and opened by PP). If you can use LO for creation and opening, you should be fine. There's a portable LO from PortableApps.com if it interests you.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

In my experience with previous versions of LibO I have noticed that I often could not run LibO Impress files in Powerpoint. I only ever really need to use Writer & Impress, so running Impress in Powerpoint is important to me. This was the primary reason I returned to OpenOffice, which in over five years of use, has never had any problems running Impress files in Powerpoint.

7. Jaspion

Have you tried recently?

8. Daveski17

I can't see the point. Apparently running LibO & OO at the same time can cause conflicts & I am not going to uninstall OO replete with all of its extensions just to test drive LibO. OpenOffice isn't a hobby for me, neither is it some passing fad or interest, I use it for work every day & it is an actual working office suite for me. I'll stay with what works thanks.

9. jo3blac1

I think he just meant to ask if the most recent version was giving you the same trouble.

10. Jaspion

Yes. He could try with the portable version if installing both causes trouble. The portable version can also solve any compatibility problems by taking it with you and using it to create and open files with it.

But of course, if it's an important work matter, maybe he should leave the experimentation to those that can be more adventurous. I'd test it myself but I'm not used to creating presentations.

11. Daveski17

Oh OK. ;)

12. Daveski17

I tried to use the PortableApps LibO & it took a ridiculous time to download. When it did it just wouldn't run. I have never known a PortableApps app ever behave like that before. After several attempts at new downloads & the same problem I gave up. OpenOffice has never given me any problems so I have decided I will stick with it.

Presentations are quite easy & the GUI is intuitive to make Impress presentations in OO/LibO. I find that I actually prefer Impress to Powerpoint.

13. jo3blac1

Well I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2010, just because it's too damn heavy on my netbook. I will be using mainly LO4 to create presentations, probably at least 1 next month. Will let you guys know how it went.

14. Jaspion

The only time I installed LO from the PortableApps.com platform, I had no problems with it. I'd give it another try if I were you, maybe you'll enjoy the new improvements. In any case if you still have problems, the guys at PortableApps.com are usually quick to reply and I bet they'd be glad to help you solve any problems.

15. Daveski17

I can only think that it was a corrupted download of some sort. So the downloading mirror probably had the problem. Either way, I'm sticking with OO.

16. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

It's works better than ever. Not that it wasn't working well before, just some nice new features, faster loading and a lot of fixes.

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

working very well i have even installed this over office on a few of my systems. no its not imo overall as nice but the price difference makes up for it lol.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm gradually moving from Office 2010 *solely* because of the 2013 pricing structure and restrictions. I will under no circumstances buy a subscription to office and I will not pay for a copy I can only use once, even if you can "move it to a different PC".

They will never win against piracy so I don't know why they are trying so hard. I'm sure I'm not the only one they've lost as a customer due to it.

I'm a light Office user so other peoples experiences may vary, but so far LO4 seems to be performing fine for me.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, LibO is great for most home use...

20. jo3blac1

Partly one of the reason I moved away from Microsoft Office. I do have 2010 copy but I feel like The Document Foundation will do much better with my $150.

21. Jaspion

One issue I experienced was on my in-laws' computer, an XP system. Copying the selected text/images of some websites (via Ctrl-C/Copy right-click) into Writer would make it crash. It got stuck and never finished pasting the content, eventually having to be forcibly shut down. On my Win7 machine this problem never happened. This was on version 3.x (I don't remember exactly which). I'll try again on that PC whenever I can and post back the results.

22. Daveski17

Yes, that sounds more like the LibO that I knew.

23. Jaspion

The PC lacked power, not that this should justify anything. Indeed I'll take the portable LO with me next time I go there and I'll test it again to see if the new version has ironed out this issue.

24. jo3blac1

These issues will slowly get ironed out, it will just take awhile.
    One suite I am waiting for to see how it works is IBM edition of Open Office.

25. Daveski17

That could be a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.