LibreOffice 3.3.2 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But it's a humungous download (for me) and I can do all I need with 3.3 and so I'm not going for this.

3. Daveski17

I used the same Open Office version on my laptop for nearly three years before I changed to LibreOffice. Oh ... that reminds me ... I have to update the laptop now ... o_O

EDIT: It took two attempts at running the installer on the laptop. The desktop was fine. I have not been able to run the Portable Apps version of the previous release. Maybe I may have more luck with this one.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. Daveski17

I don't know if this is relevant to anyone else, but, my desktop (Win 7 64 bit) installation of LibreOffice went without any hitches. Strangely, I had to re-run the installer on two Vista laptops after getting an odd pop-up asking me to make sure LO wasn't running. The other laptop, which has multiple user accounts had the same thing happen in 'Admin'. When I checked the other accounts the old shortcut icons had not been replaced with the new ones (like in Admin). This was remedied by right-clicking on them - Properties - Change Icon. I haven't noticed any other bugs - so far ... :cool:

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't like how the installation requires extracting the setup files somewhere, which should be done automatically.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think it's been that way since OpenOffice.org 2.4 (which is the first install that I did). Also, we have to clean up after the installation. The program doesn't do it.

Anyway, I sincerely hope they can reduce the size of the suite. Post-installation, I could delete a lot of stuff that I know I'll never need. This may not be advisable for multi-user setups.

There should be some way to download just the "essentials" and then people could bulk up according to their preferences.

BTW, IIRC, the portableapps.com version doesn't make one go through this post-install cleaning. The (minor) flip side is that there's silence on versions 3.3.1 and now 3.3.2. So we just have 3.3.0 from portableapps.com. The good thing is that their install is significantly smaller than the direct one.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can choose what to install during setup.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

After downloading everything.

9. Daveski17

Has anyone tried to install the help pack? I have tried to run it twice (Win 7 HP 64 bit) without success. The help forum blokes said they would get back to me about this. :(

10. guest

guest Guest

What nags me a little...
    Shortly after releasing 3.3 they added a portable version.
    Now LO ist 3.3.2 but the portable has not changed :mad:

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

guest, for the portable 3.3.2 version, PortableApps.com is still  finalizing language sets and testing bug fixes.Re: Outdated Official PortableApps.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There doesn't appear to be a way to upgrade the existing version...? I have version 3.3 and it looks like I would have to download the whole 3.3.2 installer in order to get the latest version - is that correct? That's not very convenient given the size of the installer. Maybe they will eventually be able to offer smaller patch files for new versions.

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Anyone?

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, I downloaded the MultilingualNormal.paf.exe and upon installation, received the following prompt:

2011-03-30_103458.gif

I checked Remove Extra Languages and proceeded with the installation. It did take quite awhile to install and as instructed, it took launching LibreOffice twice to complete the process. I ended up with a 251 MB folder.

16. Daveski17

Well, every time I try to run LibrO Portable it just won't run. I keep getting a pop-up telling me it won't run if there are spaces in something o_O .

What with AbiWord's spellchecker (on the portable only) not materialising yet I decided to have a look at FocusWriter Portable. It's an odd quite simplified WP (that even sounds like a typewriter) & the installation wizard insists you can install a British English version. Nope ... so I hacked an old British English dictionary (Mozilla/SeaMonkey) into its dictionary folder & it works fine. :cool:

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

JR, I downloaded the smaller pack and will install today. Depending on one's needs, I suspect there's a bit more that can be removed. I had made a list the last time around but I'll try to be more systematic.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Daveski17

OK thanks, I'll have a look at that. :thumb:

EDIT: I downloaded the British English dictionary from that site & ran the installer in the AbiWord folder I had made on my flash drive. It didn't work (it ran but didn't seem to install the dictionary) & I was just about to download the plug-in when I thought I would have a look at the dictionary files first. So I simply copied the 'british.hash' into AbiWord's own dictionary file (there was already an 'american.hash' there) & hey presto it works!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.