LG Smart TV firmware to fix spying issue

Discussion in 'hardware' started by emmjay, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Does anybody know if the firmware upgrade was released by LG to fix the spying issue. If so, has anybody here installed it/tested it?

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

On my TV they did 2 or 3 updates since then and on the first one they included a new agreement which if you didn't accept you couldn't use the "smart" stuff. I haven't read that crap because it had such small letters that only an eagle could read.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What spying issue?
    Mrk

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

5. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

+1...

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I installed the latest firmware version for my LG SmartTV this morning using a USB drive rather than updating through an ethernet connection. I did not get a 'new agreement' popup.

LG does not provide a change log or 'read me' file with the firmware versions so I have no idea what was updated. There is no popup after the upgrade to indicate what changes were installed. The new version displays in the software upgrade option, but that is all.

I found the privacy option in Settings after the upgrade and there was only one option there: keep or delete 'history'. The Privacy Option is difficult to find and you can not display what is in 'history'. As I have never seen this before I am assuming that this is what has changed. I guess if you do not delete it you are opting in to whatever (o_O). The mystery history is collecting something but I do not know if it is service stats or usage stats. No option to disable 'history' though. Weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.