Lets see if someone can help...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dja2k, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I noticed I was getting an error for Intelide.sys not loading so I went to the device manager and it wasn't loading because it had the yellow explamation point on it. I noticed Partmgr.sys had it too.

So far I read that Intelide.sys can be removed cause it is not required for ICH5R which is what I run. I removed it and rebooted. To my surprise, Partmgr.sys still didn't load. I read there were conflicts between Intelide.sys and Partmgr.sys but I thought removing one would fix the oter. I was wrong.

I have plenty of images to go back to so I decided to remove Partmgr.sys to see what happened. Some people say that is required to boot into windows, well I removed it and here I am still using it. The errors are gone though now I want to know if I needed Partmgr.sys? Does anyone know if I need it? Couldn't find anything good on Google about what to do with this so here I am asking for help.

dja2k

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I have noticed the following:

I have several comps, running dual, triple boots, with Windows and Linux.
    After installing Linux on each one - stealing partitions from Windows, so to say, the partmgr turned yellow.

On one machine, this makes no problems whatsoever.

On another, I think this happens:
    One of the hard drives sometimes does not kick in, probably due to low voltage supply, which then causes the Windows to bsod during boot or just seize. This happens once every 5-10 reboots or so. Otherwise, everything works great, no errors, no chkdisk errors, no event logs, nothing.

Now, the funny part - this did not happen before I reinstalled this machine, the only difference being that the hard drives were empty then and had partitions later on. The occasional hard drive not being recognized did occur, but the Windows would boot without it, simply missing letters in the list of drives...

However, either before or after, Linuxes would always boot fine, simply loading the available drives.

Why this happens? I don't know.

My second speculation is like this:
    I did have pciide.sys and atapi.sys yellows in hidden devices in the manager, but when I replaced the Nvidia controller for standard ide controller that comes with Windows, the problem went away.

So my question is - do you use Nvidia (possibly nforce4) mobo. I have noticed that they have not really polished up this one and the drivers are not really the best ones. First, there was the Nvidia firewall that bsoded everything and then, there is this ...

The only apparent difference between these machines, in my case, is that one has Nvidia nforce4 chip and the other does not (which works 100% fine).

I would not worry about the partmgr if it causes you no grief.

Mrk

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I am running right now without Intelide.sys and Partmgr.sys with no issues yet. Though I am sure they are going to be used somehow later on maybe by some program or something, so gotta find out more about this. Anyways, thanks both of you for the replies. I will visit those posts and see what I find out. Mrkvonic I don't have an Nvidia MB, running an Intel MB.

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well to fix the event log errors, I have set both Intelide.sys and Partmgr.sys to "Demand" instead of "Boot" under Device Manager hidden devices. I boot fine and no more "Yellow Exclamations" in Device Manager. Maybe this will help me find out what exactly uses these two when they try to run them.

UPDATE

Windows won't boot if you mess with Partmgr.sys in any way. Finally found an image way back where I didn't have these errors. Everything is back to normal.

dja2k

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.