Let the Sparks Fly!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by still_longhorn, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

-by Pollmaster, Jr Member
    -by Detox, Global Moderator
    I agree that Detox had to close the thread for the reasons given. BUT... Pollmaster's comments have to be discussed seriously and not simply thrown in the dustbin...

I've noticed, too,that some Sr Members disappear when discussions go beyond opinions, the usual social amenities and when facts are called for. They reappear at the 10Forward forum to gather brownie points... Not fair... not fair at all. Does a monosyllable comment on how the weather is count as much as a well thought out post on the intricacies of detecting the probes of Asmodeus v2.x? Spurs should be earned at the real forums with real credible posts and moderators should have the guts to remove brownie point posts IMO.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi still_longhorn,

Please apologize me if I'm not directly giving an answer.
    Please also be assured that there is no offence intended from my side !

May I please ask your understanding that we just got a little milestone by welcoming the 25.000-th member on the board.
    And that we also just had the privilege to say a warm welcome back to Paul, the founder of this forum.

Regards, Jan.

3. still_longhorn

4. still_longhorn

I get your point

5. still_longhorn

I'm sure you got mine, too!

6. still_longhorn

7. still_longhorn

8. tedium

tedium Guest

Oh great. Another non-issue to get us through the weekend.

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi SL, ;)

The forum title ranks ... don't actually designate a "rank" / "grade" ... it's just a simple extra feature of VBulletin software. They amount to no more than, a certain # posts = a certain rank ... nothing more, nothing less ... there's no prize, no reward, and no certificate.

Wilders' is about Security, but it is also about community ... The "Ten-Forward" forum exist for that very reason ... it's about being social with the community, letting loose an having Fun!!!

If you don't like Ten-Forward, simply don't go there. I'm sorry you seem to feel that the forum's rankings are based on merit, and that so called fluff posts, some how interfere with that interpretation ... because they just are not. There are no grading systems in place here at all.

Lighten up SL ... No one has to learn with a straight jacket on ... enjoy the environment, the people, the learning & the fun ... Remember Wilders' is in my mind above all else is about community. Wilders' is comprised from top to bottom with quality people ... there's lots of potential for new friendships. Take advantage.

Regards,

Steve

Ps. "fluff" away if your rank is important to you ... But Have Fun!!!

10. still_longhorn

Of course there are legitimate milestones that need to be acknowledged and no one should be begrudged of that. WSF is a wonderful forum because of the smart and knowlegeable people who grace and moderate it. What I'm saying is: keep it that way! After all, the credibility of this forum will be determined by the quality of people who come this way and not the number of duhs... wows... and happy birthdays!

11. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

So it is nice we have a ten-forward section for the duhs....and the wows.... apart from the serious sections.

Gerard

12. tedium

tedium Guest

I see. The guy who started the thread also thinks it's a non-issue.

13. still_longhorn

Actually I loved the jokes you posted at 10Forward....

I love bashing (and so do a lot of members) MS for putting too many unnecessary features in Windows. If the quote above serves no function , shouldn't it be disabled like plug and play? Or at least modified or customized? :rolleyes:

14. still_longhorn

I am not questioning the necessity/desirability of 10Forward. Just the abuse it has been subjected to to gain brownie points....

15. dog

dog Guest

16. still_longhorn

I guess I love controversy....
    I found Wilders not because I googled for birthday greetings but because I was looking for solutions.

I think it is an issue because I come across less and less google finds that lead to WSF and when I do come across a link that points me to WSF, the discussions are superficial. What does this imply?

Should we change the name to Wilders Social Forums? It sounds fine to me...

17. still_longhorn

Let the guy speak for himself! Or does the guy have to log in and stop hiding behind an incognito name?

18. still_longhorn

Neither am I questioning the table of brownie points... Just the quality of posts!

See? I've managed to accumulate so many brownie points posting replies to what some consider as a non-issue.... I want to earn my points the proper way....

19. tedium

tedium Guest

One more post and you're there!

20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Please still_longhorn and please all,

I am really begging you ALL !!!
    Without ANY offence intended !!!

Can't we all agree that both things are important: sharing info and help to each other, and also building a community?

Each of us can choose what kind of forum-sections and/or postings he/she wants to read and/or wants to reply on.

Of course this is a security-forum.
    But there is nothing wrong with wishing each other an Happy Birthday !

Could we please, please settle this down (oops, forgive my poor English)?
    I would really be very grateful and thankful to ALL of you if we could settle this and have a peaceful and friendly forum !!!

THANKS to all of you in advance for your understanding !!!!!

Warm regards, Jan.

21. dog

dog Guest

Well, if you are so unhappy here ... go elsewhere ... Wilders' isn't a democracy ... its ultimate control lays in the hands of the gentlemen whose name is the foundation of this forum, and Mike his right-hand man.

If you want to control your environment ... buy some server space and host your own forum.

Ps. MY birthday was yesterday ... and I didn't get a birthday greeting from you ... :mad: :'( :D ... Oh, well.

The good news is ... you didn't include your date of birth, in your user CP ... so you won’t end up with a birthday thread ... But seeing as I wouldn't want to miss it.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY SL!!! :D :D :D

~Please~ Lighten UP!!! Smile!!! Enjoy!!!

dog - *puppy*

This was my absolute last two cents on this matter ... enjoy your thread!

22. still_longhorn

Of course it is important to me, but not more important than the quality of my posts. To think otherwise is abolute BS! What I write here will be read half-way around the world... and what I want them to read should be more related to "security" than "social graces..." :rolleyes:

23. tedium

tedium Guest

CONGRATULATIONS STILL_LONGHORN SENIOR MEMBER!!!!!!!

24. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Congrats with your 200 posts SL :D

Saying that maybe a mod should move this to the ten-f section ;)

Gerard

25. still_longhorn

]

Absolutely uncalled for and shows your level of maturity. Would you like me to post the definition of a forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.