Lenovo X60, 2partitions clone to new HD prob

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmack5, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmack5

jmack5 Registered Member

Hello.

Lenovo x60 with XP
    2 partitions
    Wish to move to 360GB hard drive from 60
    used clone option.
    ISSUE #1: it extends the non-C drive partition...the small 4gig one that Lenovo likes. I cannot extend the C-drive partition.
    ISSUE #2: I cannot get this to clone so that it will boot.

Using Acronis TI 2009.

Is there anything I should look out for? Man, this IBM stuff is a pain....

~jason

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are you cloning the logical way - with your new drive setup externally?

If so, try it the other way, make your current IBM drive external and put the new 360GB in the laptop, try cloning via the rescue CD.

As far as the booting is concerned, what error message do you get an dhow far into the boot process are you able to go?

Are you able to post any screenshots of your cloning process?

I have an X61, I have made a full image of the IBM drive, and then deleted the Recovery partition, then using DD10 altered the partitions. If you don't have DD10, then a hack around is to make an Secure Zone, but not activate it, then remove the SZ, this will then give you an option of where to append the released drive space.

Colin

3. jmack5

jmack5 Registered Member

Good questions!

My way: clone to external USB SATA hub (external drive essentially).

Boot process: get blinking cursor, which tells me it can't start boot-up.

Secure Zone: I'm kind of new to Lenovo computers (linux, mac, normal PC stuff) and this secure zone is new to me. Can you explain?

CLONE: when I try to do a straight clone, it fails. If I set-up the clone manually with a big unpartitioned space it will clone, but not boot. Boo.

Thanks for the reply,

Jason

ADDITION: Secure Zone is from Acronis I see...new app for me. again, explain how I can use this?? Very curious.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. jmack5

jmack5 Registered Member

Ah...I think I see: you have to pay for the software to back this up as such. I am doing this for someone, so I'm having him pay the $50 so we can get this done :)
    Paid money, currently cloning. We'll see what happens now....

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Ah light may or may not dawn - I'm not sure how well the trial version clones, in fact from a business point of view, you wouldn't want the trial version to clone properly as otherwise who'd buy your product?

6. jmack5

jmack5 Registered Member

We're not talking about putting a tin carburator in my Studebaker...just cloning a HD :)

I did purchase Acronis, created the repair disk, placed new HD into the laptop, the original into my SATA cradle (USB) and 1.5 hrs later: DONE. Very good.

In hindsight I could've saved myself 5 cloning attempts if I'd just purchased the software. Money well spent if you're reading this early into what appears to be a troublesome cloning experience!

(software: Acronis 2009 TI)

Thanks for the help gents,

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.