Lenovo IdeaPad Y570-Best Laptop I've owned so far!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by berryracer, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

what's wrong with Acer?.....one of my pcs is an Acer netbook AO532H-2BR.....I find it quite good......

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's a poor quality brand. I would never buy one myself. While the quality is not terrible there are much better quality laptops around.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I have asus and sony vio laptops and always go these two brands.....but Acer is not that bad as you depict.....it's nice....I would never buy Acer myself as I love asus and vio brand laptops more than any other brands....I got my Acer netbook at damn cheap.....and bought it for mainly internet experience....and I like it......

4. roger_m

The only Acer netbook I've ever used had really bad touchpad - that for me it was unusable. The owner of the netbook used an external mouse, but on all my laptops I stick to using the touchpad. I've seen touchpads in unbranded Chinese netbooks which are infinitely better than on the Acer.
    Quite possibly the touchpad issues were restricted to this particular model, however.

In all reality I'm sure that Acer is fine for a cheap netbook, just personally I prefer to buy bands which have a better chance of lasting for many years,

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

my touchpad is working fine....and I've been using my netbook for nearly 4 and half years with a xp sp3 32 bit system....and it's still giving good service.....but anyways, I love asus and vio....and think vio is the most amazing brand ....and asus the most reliable brand only second to vio and not as wonderful as vio of course.....

6. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

no offense but Acer was always known to be the cheap quality brand laptop with crappy specs, crappy driver support, and crappy quality overall....

talking from experience...

A friend gave me his Acer notebook a couple of years ago to fix and after I formatted and installed Windows, the Acer website didn't even have any drivers section. Maybe it has changed now, but I would never ever buy one nor allow a friend to buy one.

There are much better options always available.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

so what do you guys think of Asus and Sony Vio brand laptops?.....I simply love Vio laptops....I have asus, vio and acer laptops...and love each one of them....I'm still adamant though about acer.....it's served my well....

8. roger_m

ASUS are just about the best laptops you can get. They on the whole have excellent reliability, even among the cheapest models too. As an example of reliability we have a nearly seven year old ASUS laptop at work which for the last few years has been running 24 hours a day seven days a week without any hardware problems.

Sony laptops are from what I have read about them are overpriced, and probably not as reliable as ASUS. There are a lot of users who are very happy with their Vaios, but on the other hand I see plenty of reports of problems.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

thx a lot my good friend :thumb:.....I see you have quite a lot of variety in brands of laptops from your signature.....

I have 4 pcs you see......1 Asus.....2 Sony Vio...and 1 Acer netbook with xp system.......I was thinking since xp will no longer be supported from 2014 April....I would buy a new laptop next year and put a linux OS in that Acer netbook.....

which laptop (preferably a netbook since it's kind of a replacement for Acer) should I get?.......I love Asus and Vio brands and would probably buy one from the 2....but I like to hear your advice from a more overall and general perspective since you got experience with lot of brands.....whereas I always try either Vio or Asus...got Acer incidentally at very cheap price.....

10. roger_m

I would for go for ASUS or a used ThinkPad from eBay (since Lenovo abondoned netbooks in favour of their tablets). Both brands offer comparable quality, but Lenovo has much better software and driver support from Lenovo than ASUS and other brands.

Bear in mind that the typical netbook is not very fast. So something faster maybe a better option depending on what you want to use if for. If that is the case let me know, and also let me know what would be the maximum weight you would want.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

hmm.....yeah you're right......I would get a notebook....I want less specs than a gaming pc....and not too pricey as my vio laptops and asus laptop which have huge specs......weight is not a prob...I've got strong backbone for carrying my backpack :argh: ......

12. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I in love with my Asus A53SV notebook. The only useful feature it lacks is an illuminated keyboard, otherwise it rocks!!! :thumb:

Wendi

13. roger_m

I would still go with ASUS or Lenovo.

14. I say neither go here build a custom one like i did, http://www.powernotebooks.com/

15. roger_m

That's where I bought my Compal (PowerPro branded) from, but they don't have any low priced laptops. The cheapest I just saw on thier website was $619 and that's without Windows. It's at least $105 on top of that for Windows.

Having said that though, my Compal HEL80 is an awesome laptop - it has stood up to nearly six years of daily use, and everything still works fine except for problems with the DVD drive (which is only due to me dropping the laptop). Even the hinges have not come at all loose after opening and closing the lid thousands of times.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

thx a lot you guys.....I think I'll with Asus......

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Has HP dropped off the map completely? :eek:

Been using an HP here and it's pretty darn good (BTW this laptop was made by Flextronics).

18. berryracer

HP's screen suck, and they use cheap components.

I had a DV5 before that had a 15.6 inch BrightView screen that was dull as heck! nothing bright about it! it was as if you had turned down the brightness even at full brightness.

and they had a Matshita POS DVD drive in it that always gave me bad burns..when I googled it...that specefic model seemed to be like one of the cheapest and crappiest Matshita DVD Drives/Burners

Never buying an HP again in my life

19. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My screen wasn't very good either, it had this blue tint and was a Samsung panel. When it cracked, HP replaced it under warranty and the new screen was much, much better. This time it's made by AU Optronics and is one of the better screens I've seen on a laptop.

It's kinda funny that the replacement part should be much better than the original.

20. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

They do suck. I had a HP Pavilion dv7. I sold it and now using XPS 15. Its like night and day difference in the two screens. I still wonder how did watch any movies on that HP :D

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I got an Acer and i've never experienced a single issue with it, and i like the plasticky feeling (It's a $500 model) feels more durable because it can take a few hits here and there. :D :D

22. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am considering a purchase of the Y570 for basic small business use. My only concern is lack of of a USB3 port - do you folks consider that a signifcant limitation? I don't do anything currently for which extra USB3 speed would be helpful, but I am a little concerned about the future.

Here's the link from Costco...
    http://bit.ly/NU3Wew

I like the 90 day return policy AND the extra year that Costco tacks on to the manufacturer warranty.

23. berryracer

The Y570 has 1 USB 2.0 Port on the left side of the Notebook and TWO USB 3.0 ports on the right.......what are you talking about? :rolleyes:

24. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Not accroding to the specs shown on the link I previously posted...

Ports:

3x USB 2.0 Ports
    1x eSATA/USB Combo Port
    1x HDMI
    1x VGA
    1x RJ-45 (LAN)
    1x 5-in-1 Card Reader
    1x Headphone
    1x Microphone

25. berryracer

Well that seems like a lower specced Y570.

the one I have is the Y570-2349 which comes with 1 USB 2.0 port, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 HDMI, 1 SATA, built in 750 GB HDD, built in mSATA 64 GB Toshiba SSD, Intel HD Graphics 3000 + nVIDIA GT555m graphics chipsets which you can swap between by the switch of a button located at the bottom right

When im out, I turn on the built in HD Graphics 3000 to save battery and when Im at home I run it on the nVIDIA Chipset all the time

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.