Length Field of the 802.2 Header

Discussion in 'Colasoft Free Network Tools' started by JS08K, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JS08K

JS08K Registered Member

Explanation of what is happening:
    I am designing a micro-controller program that takes in ethernet and converts it to other communication styles. I am not concerned about an IP protocol since I am not going to be dealing with computers per-say. I have designed my micro-controller to first read the target MAC address, then it will read the source MAC address. After it reads these two it will read the length field and make a decision wether or not to read the rest of the packet. If this length field is 01F4h then it will read the packet.
    The problem:
    The problem that is occurring I am placing 000Ah for the length field, followed with some made up 10 bytes of data. I allow padding to fill up the rest of the packet. When sending the packet, only a few of the sent packets make it through. I have had the length field printed on the receiving side and It does not have any specific value. It should always be received as 000Ah but this is not the case. Could it be that the software has a bug and is not sending out the packet with the Length/Type field directly following the source MAC address?

2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Sorry, but I do not understand you well.
    Do you mean that you use Colasoft Packet Player to send the packets, and then use your micro-controller program receive it? And you doubt Colasoft Packet Player has a bug, so that it is not sending out packets with Length/Type fiels directly following the source MAC address?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.