Learning to use encryption to protect files

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by inconsciousecurity, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inconsciousecurity

inconsciousecurity Registered Member

I came across this youtube video on reddit and I would like to know before I go and try to follow along with it if it is actually a useful video or if the dude knows what he is talking about. Also since the video date says Sep 8, 2013 so is this still relevant or is there something else to make it more complicated? The video link is

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuN08Z5kdl8
    I have not bothered with encryption because it sounded like a really complicated thing. But this video was recommended to me as being good, however I would rather come to a dedicated security forum and have you guys let me know rather than random people.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

You are correct that encryption is a complicated thing. Truecrypt makes the process fairly easy but, if something goes wrong it is possible you could lose your data.
    If you are not willing to take the time to understand what is happening "under the hood" I would suggest you not use encryption. I have read way too many posts from people who used Truecrypt and ended up loosing everything because they made simple mistakes out of ignorance.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What chiraldude said :rolleyes:

TrueCrypt is indeed easy to use. And it's designed to work well with Windows. It's hard to go very wrong using encrypted file containers. But it's very easy to fail encrypting partitions and drives. That's because Windows is not at all designed to work with TrueCrypt. If you browse the "encryption problems" sub-forum, you'll see many threads about "Windows ate my TrueCrypt volume" :(

It's best to stick with encrypted file containers at first. And before you use encrypted partitions/drives, play with dummy data until you understand how to recover from common disasters.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.