Layering?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Examining AV Comparatives tests, it is evident that detection rates vary a great deal in some cases.

Although I have a layered defense which includes Ewido, I am wondering if one uses KAV or an AV that detects 99% of trojans whether an anti-trojan application really adds anything. I am thinking specifically about the AT running full time as opposed to periodic scanning.

Some of the AVs show a detection rate of trojans in the 70 and 80% range. I would want an AT in those cases.

Comments?
    Jerry

2. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I've just seen a trojan (this one) being caught by BOClean and not by KAV. Of course, I've seen also the opposite. Still, it doesn't matter what you use, nothing catches everything. By the way, based on my experience no AV, not even KAV, seems to come close to catching 99% of trojans in the wild; it catches a lot, but 99% is certainly not the percentage I've experienced in more than two years of use. I'm particularly good at finding all the new ones, maybe. :D

PS: notice that I actually look for them, though. A "regular" user certainly doesn't have anywhere near the same chances of encountering them.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. Do you have a ballpark estimate of the best AV detection rate, such as KAV?

Jerry

4. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Good AV + Common sense. Maybe a HIPS if you are high risk.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, I do not go looking for "trouble" or go where trouble hangs out if I know it. My own internet use is mostly places like some gun forums, and computer security forums.

The only trojan or maybe two that "tried me" were caught by Bit Defender, and not by Ewido. Other than those, I have never had a trojan "threat." In fact, I don't think I have had 6 or so viruses or any other serious malware try to infect my system. That is due primarily because I am a very safe surfer.

Jerry

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Risk of surfing can be virtually eliminated by using Sandboxie. When I load my browser, it automagically sandboxes all of it. So when I am done, I "Flush" the sandbox, and presto.

I can install 200 toolbars and trojans when I am browsing, and it matters now after I close the browser, they are gone.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Freeware too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.