Lavasoft Ad-Aware Adblocker Alpha

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by quanzi_1507, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itman

itman Registered Member

Another comment about this software. When I was on the PC Mag web site, I was getting popups from EMET 4.0 about certificate mismatches for Twitter and Facebook. Made no sense what so ever and indicates to me that somehow I had been redirected? BTW - after removing Adblocker, no more cert. mismatches from any PC Mag web page.

2. rodocop

rodocop Registered Member

Hi, Nigel!
    One question: how does your product compare with AdFender - also free universal (all-browser) adblocker?

3. NigelShaw

NigelShaw Registered Member

Hey itman,

Thanks for the bug report. We've logged that as a bug. We do install a certificate for HTTPS. To see it type certmgr.msc at the start prompt and look in Trusted Root Certification Authorities/Certificates.

Nigel

4. NigelShaw

Hi Rodocop,

AdFender is a great product. AdBlocker uses LSP technology (Layered Service Protocol) instead of a proxy server like AdFender. So there's no need to configure your firewall with AdBlocker. AdBlocker looks to be faster than AdFender. We have barely started optimizing and we anticipate that AdBlocker will be the fastest ad blocker available. AdFender looks like it only blocks URLs, which is half the battle. The other half is hiding elements that can't be blocked with URL blocking. For instance AdFender doesn't block Facebook ads, which require element hiding to block. AdBlocker is designed to be extremely user-friendly, with a single on-off switch, whereas AdFender looks to cater more to a power user who isn't confused by the various configuration options.

I hope this helps. If anyone from AdFender wants to weigh in and possibly correct anything I've said here, please do so.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

There you go, nice Sig Nigel :) :thumb:

6. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks for the response.

What we need is a better AdMuncher (with https filtering) because i dont think we'll ever see version 5 there. Also, instead of selling out to the advertising companies like ABP, just charge the users instead maybe something like $20/year to reach a wider user base than AdMuncher.

ABP slows down browsing significantly on my netbook while AM does not so i think a program outside the browser is the way to go.

Good luck on the project. i'll download it today and have a test.

7. NigelShaw

Thanks! Done.

8. NigelShaw

Awesome. Thanks Snoop3. We are going to release a new version to Alpha within a day or 2 with a significant performance boost. Watch for that.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Looks good. I'll try it when it comes out as a final product.:)

10. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Will wait for beta/final release. Tried it but it didn't block many ads compared to Adblock Plus in chrome or when using Admuncher. Also, on my machine, the interface was docked to the lower right and some of the information was cut off. It appears to still need some work but am hopeful it improves enough so I can use it.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You're welcome, looks good :thumb:

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Feature request: Make it support .Net v 4.5 (one that comes in Windows :cool:. When I tried to install it, it won't run and need to download .Net v 3.5

13. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

Nigel,
    couple of minor things:

i don't like those stub installers, much rather download the entire program one time and save the file to hdd, then if need to re-install its right there. also i don't like that the stub installer is making several different connections on the internet as i'm wary of any installers sending out profiling data, UUIDs, etc.

also, the file should be named something like:

Lavasoft_Ad-Aware_AdBlocker_Alpha v1.3.28.1_setup.exe
    LavaSoft AdBlocker_development_version v1.6.38.1_setup.exe

instead of just setup.exe so we can see at a glance if we need a new version or dealing with the same version etc. also if the file isn't named with version number included we end up with a bunch of files in the download folder like setup.exe, setup_2.exe, setup_3.exe, setup_4.exe

thanks.

i haven't been able to test yet because i have to get back to a previous image that still has VBS scripting available :(

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

HTTPS filtering is looking promising. I will definitely keep an eye on this product!

15. sammylnx

sammylnx Registered Member

Hello,

First of all, I really like Ad-Aware Adblocker. However, recently I encountered a bug and when I tried to send the error report, I get this message:
    "ERROR 2001: Configuration system failed to initialize". Can I post the detailed error report here?

P.S. - I have saved the original bug report file (the saencryptedreport file).

16. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

A questionable alternative to ABP given the "Lavasoft encourages responsible advertising and supports the 'Acceptable Ads Policy' of AdBlock Plus." on their http://www.lavasoft.com/products/adblocker.php page and the similar "allow non-intrusive advertising" checkbox in this Lavasoft Adblocker.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Which is not enabled by default.

18. Observations
    1. Needs outbound access for LavasoftProxy.exe
    2. Uses more CPU processing time as expected (with CPU percentage peaks)
    3. Works with IE11 for Windows7

As said, it is a an alpha, so expect not optimised code (problable cause of 2). I tried AV of Ad-Aware this used less CPU as their adblocker, so trust they will tackle that before the final release.

No other security program installed (see sig), so can't be interfering with something.

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Nigel, how are things progressing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.