Lavabit - Private E-Mail Service Shutsdown

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by x942, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

-https://lavabit.com-

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Wow. Well, I warned against Lavabit recently for this very reason (based in Texas). But I'm not happy about it. I think the guy said what he could and said it well. It's a shame. I wish him all the best.

3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have over 2000 personal and business emails on Lavabit. I used it for just about everything, it will hurt my business and i will lose money. I cannot even log in to retrieve my emails. I just re-subscribed for another year just a few days ago. I can't get my emails, or my money back. I know its not Lavabits fault, I wonder if many people like myself would have a valid legal suit against which ever branch of the US government closed down and took away the servers. I am a UK resident, not a US resident, and i'm being adversely effected by their laws. There has to be some valid legal reason why this should not and can not be done under my human rights to privacy and my intellectual property "emails" being taken away by a foreign power.

4. Taliscicero

Also, anyone know any other email providers with asynchronous encryption of their emails? I know there was at-least one out there. Why? I have to make another email address because the US GOV want's to play king of the world with other countries citizens data.

5. x942

x942 Guest

EDIT: check out this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=351466 for an alternative.

6. Taliscicero

7. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

More than likely a NSL (National Security Letter) gag was issued. You would have no say in the matter unless you had a need to know for National Security reasons. This is the risk you accept when using services outside your country. While this is currently happening in the U.S. the same stipulations can happen in any country if their legal back-end allows it.

8. Taliscicero

This may be true, but my intellectual property is there. It's like shutting down the Louvre and with it the Mona Lisa and not letting those who have the right to take the painting to another gallery take it. Claiming, ours now. NSL. Also let's be honest here, there was no national security reasons to bring down Lavabit, the only one is Snowden and they use it as an excuse to shut down Lavabit because they don't like privacy for people. It's like arresting 1000 people because you know for sure one of them is Snowden, but your not gonna check or release the rest because NSL, IE: Shut you up.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That's a drag :(

And that's why I don't leave messages online.

10. Stifflersmom

Stifflersmom Registered Member

Autistici / Inventati is very similar to Riseup.net with respect to their views on privacy, but they're located outside the U.S. (servers in Norway, Netherlands, Iceland I believe).
    http://www.autistici.org/en/index.html

11. Justintime123

Justintime123 Registered Member

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Thread closed as per Policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.