Lavabit and how law enforcement access might be done in the future

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I don't know where blogs are getting their information, but lavabit has been anything from a government shill to a hero of privacy to actually secretly Saddam Hussein wearing a fedora in his basement.

I wish people would stop perpetuating disinformation to defame the company and the man behind it. I think a lot of it is just ******** put out to try and destroy his legal fund by making people not donate with false information.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The only workable solution for secure email etc services is to be reliably hidden from all adversaries, and to be secure against DOS and other attacks. Then adversaries can all just go pound sand ;)

Edit: I'm not saying "pound sand" just to sound aggressive. Consider what it is about pounding sand that's unproductive ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

From the article:
    I think the article is a bit naive about what the government's actual goals are. Obviously Snowden was a real and important target for the government. But cases like Snowden are also used to expand police powers. The government wasn't just being difficult, unreasonable, or stupid, as the article seems to suggest, they wanted complete access to Lavabit's system in order to defeat it in general. Snowden gave them this opportunity.

It's clear that the NSA has a general goal of having real time access to as much information as possible. It sees services like Lavabit that attempt to create real privacy as holes in it's monitoring system that it wants to plug. Without some other force (legal, technological, political) placing limits on agencies like this, they will pursue the function of what they do (collecting information) to it's logical end, which is to collect and collate all information.

5. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

hell sign me up once such a service gets released :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.