Launch Port Explorer and nothing happens

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Unregistered, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I have installed the Port Explorer demo on 2 seperate systems, both running XP (both systems running RC of SP2).

On both systems, after installation and reboot, nothing happens when I run the Port Explorer application, either from the desktop shortcut or the Start menu. If I have task manager open, I can see the process start and then almost immediately die.

There is no indication what might be wrong. No error messages. Nothing noted in the Event Viewer.

Is this a known issue with Service Pack 2 for Windows XP?

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I am not sure if there is an issue with SP2, DCS will have to answer that one but there is an issue if you are running Mcfee's firewall, thought I would mention that in case you were running McFee.

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I have seen this with a few users who have PE infecting virus's on their system, you might want to do a system scan to ensure your system is clean from such virus's.

Alternatively you can send the ZIPPED pedemo.exe to support@diamondcs.com.au for investigation by us.

-Jason-

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Could trying to run as a service in stead of as a normal process be an element here? I mean: both systems maybe infected?
    No other error messages?

5. MarkmanXP

MarkmanXP Guest

Same thing happens to me. Also running XP with SP 2 RC.
    No Viruses found. I run Norton 8 Corporate Edition for protection.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

But are you running Port Explorer itself as a service or normal? And was it installed as an admin and now trying to run as a normal user? You'll notice it needs some admin rights, so you should not block those where it is asking for it.
    If that is not enough you can maybe try in the admin give it "run as" rights for using it as a normal user if that is an issue.
    If the Norton Firewall (? or only NAV?) is closed a moment, does that solve the problem?
    If so, there could be some indication where to start looking for next tries.

7. MarkmanXP

MarkmanXP Guest

I am running it as a standard / normal program. I installed it and rebooted and then try to launch it. I have not tried to set it up as a Service. When I launch the application I get an Hour Glass for less than a second and then nothing. Nothing in Task Manager.

I am Administrator of the workstation. I installed and am attempting to use it as an Administrator.

I have tried it with Nav 8 disabled.

Thanks

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi again, was all the av/at disabled during install too?
    You're not usung the mcafee firewall i hope? (as that one really needs configuration we can't get information about at all)

Could it have to do with the new RC SP2?

9. MarkmanXP

MarkmanXP Guest

I tried installing it disabled / enabled. Doesn't make a difference.
    Nothing shows up in my event viewer.

My only guess is sp2 implemented something causing a conflict. Unfortunately I don't know what or how further to troubleshoot this on my workstation.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Guess you're right with the SP. The only thing is can think of would be the LSPFix.exe from http://cexx.org/LSPFix.exe <<mind you, direct download;
    it could be it repairs possible LSP errors.
    I can't imagine the SP would have deleted necessary files, you could walk through this opage of required files as there are for TDSif you have at least the same or newer files:
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files
    but there might be all different reasons. This is really the DiamondCS team needed here!

11. markmanxp

markmanxp Guest

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Did you check the required files versions and try the LSPFix? Did it indicate anything to be fixed?

13. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Markmanxp, Thanks for the link to SP2 RC1, I am downloading it now and will try it on one of my pc's to see if I get the same problem.
    Jooske's tip about LSPfix is well worth trying.

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I have Just loaded SP2 onto my laptop AMD 1900 and then did a clean install of Port Explorer with absolutley no problems.
    With SP2 the instructions for installing are very explicit you must stop all unecessary programmes. I stopped my AV, AT firewall backround wireless programmes, Spyware guard, disablled Process Guard & any other unecessary services before doing the update.

So to be sure your PE is installed correctly please uninstall it, clean out the folder except for your port.kf and reboot.
    re-install PE reboot go to the members area and get your start key, start PE enter the key as requested and hopefully all should be well.
    If you have Process Guard reenable it and put it in learning mode, reboot and then disable learning mode, though most of your other OS programmes will fire up the Process Guard desktop as their checksums have changed.

Hope This Helps - Pilli

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If still running a demo the "keyfile" and "membersarea" parts you can ignore for now.
    would like to know if it helped and also the demo is running fine now on your system!?

16. aka

aka Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with SP2. I've tried everything suggested in this thread. All LSPfix did was disable the IMOM service in NOD32. Got that fixed. Uninstalled Port Explorer(demo), there was no folder left to clean out, rebooted, shut down everything possible, installed, rebooted, NOD32 needed another reboot after that. But still Port Explorer does nothing. *sigh*

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi aka, Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I am am runnig KAV on my laptop with SP2.
    I am wondering if LSPfix needs an update for SP2 or even NOD32, may be worth asking on the NOD32 forum.

18. George_S

George_S Registered Member

Have you tried right clicking the shotcut and doing a RUN AS adminstrator?

19. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi unregistered, Sorry the trial version of Port Explorer is not SP2 compatible. It is hoped that a new trial version will be available in the near future.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.