Latest Windows XP patch can slow down PCs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Smokey, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Latest Windows XP patch can slow down PCs

Microsoft Corp.'s latest security patch can cause computers running Windows XP to slow down to a crawl, according to affected users.
    Windows XP can take up to 10 seconds to start an application after installation of the patch released April 16 with Security Bulletin MS03-013, users wrote in dozens of postings on several online discussion boards. Removing the patch brings system speed back to normal, according to those users.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is investigating, said Stephen Toulouse, a security program manager at Microsoft's security response center.

"We have been made aware of some isolated cases of customers experiencing performance issues after applying the patch," he said, referring to the online reports. No customers have called Microsoft's help desk with the problem, according to Toulouse.

The patch, which Microsoft calls Hotfix Q811493, was distributed via Microsoft's security Web site and the automatic Windows Update service. It fixes a security flaw in the Windows kernel, the core of the Windows operating system. The vulnerability is rated "important" by Microsoft, one notch below the highest level in the vendor's severity rating scheme.

The flaw could allow an attacker to raise his privilege level on a vulnerable system. However, to exploit the flaw, an attacker must be able to log onto a system, either at the computer or via a terminal connection, mitigating the risk.

Users offering online advice suggested that home users experiencing system slowdowns remove the patch because corporate environments with terminal servers and client systems accessed by multiple users are most at risk. Microsoft, however, urged all customers to apply the patch and to call the Microsoft help desk if there are any performance problems afterward, Toulouse said.

Source: IDG News Service

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Not at all. ;) I just like to link things up. Cross-link, relink, "Link to the Past", you name it - I like links! :D

As for the optical device, maybe you just need lighter lenses in those glasses? [​IMG]

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Damn LWM you are too efficient, how can you be everywhere at once!! (I see you giving great accurate advice everywhere I go)
    Please leave something for us lesser mortals to deal with :D

ps, If I find out you are 6ft and blond with rugged good looks, a Ferrari Marranelo, a model wife, and an 18 bedroom house in Monaco I shall hang up my 'anti static wrist band' and retire to a llama farm in Chile! ;)

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

imagine that.. wonder whyo_O

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Thanks, that will be the solution to my optical problems! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.