Latest version of Smart Security causing SESSION3_INIT_FAILED BSOD

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tmeacham170, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmeacham170

tmeacham170 Registered Member

I've been using Smart Security for a while now on this XP box but out of nowhere my computer blue-screened on a reboot with a STOP error stating SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. The error code parameters were STOP:0x0000006F (0xC0000008,...) and the rest were all zeros. I couldn't track down the problem and I have full backups so I formatted the partition and started reinstalling.

After installing some other stuff and latest version of Smart Security the same problem occurred. So I formatted again and went step-by-step rebooting after every install. As soon as I installed the latest version of Smart Security and rebooted it blue-screened. I was always able to boot into Safe Mode during all these problems so I loaded Safe Mode, uninstalled Smart Security using SafeMSI and rebooted. The problem went away.

Has anyone else seen this? I'll try downloading an earlier version, but obviously that isn't an ideal fix.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In the event of BSOD we'd need you to generate at least a kernel memory dump. For instructions how to configure the oper. system to generate complete or kernel memory dumps, read this KB article.

I'd also suggest that you try disabling self-defence. Together with anti-stealth, it is a driver that may be prone to cause issues when another problematic driver is loaded in the system.

The dump will help ESET developers identify the source of the problem and probably find a workaround if it is actually caused by another badly written driver in the system.

When you have the dump ready, let me know so that I can provide you with further instructions.

3. mi9rom

mi9rom Registered Member

Hi,
    We have the same problem, on almost all our Dell laptops.
    Not yet confirmed it is Eset problem.

4. mi9rom

mi9rom Registered Member

Uninstalling of Eset solves the problem.

5. Marcos

It doesn't confirm that it's ESET problem. We know about some BSODs that were caused by another piece of software rewriting kernel memory. Please set configure the system to create a kernel or better complete memory dumps, reproduce BSOD and convey the dump to ESET for perusal.

6. tmeacham170

I'll try this with the current build of Smart Security 4.2 and get back to you.

7. tmeacham170

Installed Smart Security 4.2 and it crashed on reboot like clockwork. However, I am not getting a MEMORY.DMP file in the system root like the instructions say. I have the folder view options set to display hidden files and protected operating system files and my crash dump settings are as described in the instructions.
    I looked through the settings but couldn't find where to do this. Can you be more specific?

8. Marcos

To disable self-defense, open the main setup (F5), select "Antivirus and antispyware" (the first entry in the setup tree), untick "Enable Self-defense" and restart the computer for the change to take effect.

9. lowland101

lowland101 Registered Member

I'm running only nod32 antivirus and got the exact same problem !

Was running version 4.0.474.0, tried to upgrade to the latest version en got the exact same bsod !

So uninstalled the latest version, en reinstalled version 4.0.474 and that was running just fine.
    But when nod32 went to get the latest signature and update stuff (i think it was 20100331), and after a reboot. There was the bsod again !
    But now with version 4.0.474 witch was running just fine, before getting the signature stuff !

I also tried to get an memory dump, but after the bsod there is no memory dump to be found !

I did disable the _self defense_ part, en now windows is booting normally !

This happens with windows xp pro sp3

to make it more difficult, on the same system i'm running a dualboot.

Windows vista sp1 and windows xp pro sp3

When i boot into windows vista sp1 and runnning nod32 antivirus version 4.0.474 and got the latest signature updates, there were no problems at all !
    I even did an update to the latest nod32 antivirus version, rebooted and again no problem at all !

There is only a problem with nod32 antivirus on the windows xp sp3 install.

10. tmeacham170

Same here. I have a dual-boot on this box and the Vista partition with the latest Smart Security runs fine. Additionally, other computers in the house running XP and the latest Smart Security also run fine.

I haven't tried disabling Self-Defense yet but I'll try that tomorrow if there's time.

I'm glad to see that someone else isn't getting the memory dump.

11. tmeacham170

Disabling self-defense looks to have fixed it for me as well. Thanks.

12. Marcos

The best would be if you could create a kernel or better complete memory dump from BSOD. We assume that you have an older or badly written driver installed that causes BSOD in conjunction with the sefl-defense driver and the dump would help us figure out which one it is.

13. lowland101

lowland101 Registered Member

Because i have the exact same bsod, only with nod32 antivirus (which i wrote before).
    I tried multiple times to create a memory dump.
    But no go.. windows xp gives a bsod on boot, en does not create a memory dump.

The only thing what tmeacham170 and I both have, is an dual boot with vista and windows xp.

When booting with vista, with the latest version.. no problems.
    Booting with windows xp, there is the bsod !

Disabling self defense makes the bsod go away.

It seems there is something changed in one of the nod32 modules, which does not like a dualboot...

14. IceF

IceF Registered Member

Ahhh :'( , I wish I had found this information 3 days ago. I have just spent 3 days trying to fix session3_initialization_failed ( 00x6f ..) BSOD. I have reinstalled my windows xp today... spent some time rebuilding vista boot manager so I would have my dual boot again... after I have installed nod security suite and updated it I got BSOD again. Since I wasn't able to enter windows and disable "self - protection" I have uninstalled nod and my BSOD disappeared :)
    I wanted to make minidump of kernel but when I booted to safe mod and tried to set minidump it said I can't do that because "Alerter" service is not running, and when I tried to start that service it said that it's not possible to start that service in safe mode :oops:

15. Marcos

Try running the ESET uninstall tool in safe mode to remove ESS. In normal mode, configure the system to generate kernel (or better complete) memory dumps and continue as follows:
    - install ESS and update it
    - create a SysInspector (ESI) log (if BSOD occurs instantly after update, create it beforehand)
    - reproduce BSOD
    - once done, compress the dump, include the ESI log, put your nick in the archive's name and upload it to ftp.nod.sk/support.

Let me know when done so that we can analyze the dump and figure out the problematic driver on your system. In the event of continual problems, you can always uninstall ESS in safe mode and reinstall it while disabling Self-defense right after installation (before update) to prevent further BSOD from occurring.

16. savdya

savdya Registered Member

Same problem here ...Dual boot System (Windows 7 and Windows XP). Nod 32 on my Windows 7 partition is running fine without any problem but on XP i am getting blue screen during booting when nod32 is installed.

I also tried installing a fresh copy of Windows XP on the system and tried installing the nod32. Next day same blue screen came while booting in normal mode. This time i just logged into safe mode and renamed the eset folder. I was able to start the system normally ..

17. savdya

savdya Registered Member

I just find out that this problem is with all the dual boot systems having Windows XP on other partition..

I installed nod32 on other system with same dual boot configuration ( Windows 7 and Windows XP) . The moment i installed nod32 , updated it and restarted the system ...I got the blue screen...:)

Now how to get the solution..

18. Marcos

Could you please convey a memory dump from BSOD to ESET for perusal as mentioned above?

19. gamamew

gamamew Registered Member

I used to have the same problem: multiboot system (Vista and XP), XP installed on the 2nd disc and NOD32 4.

The solution was quite simple, getting rid of that version and installing the previous one (v.3) and no more BSODs. Your user & pass should work on v.3, so there won't be any problem.

Hope this advice helps anyone.

20. Marcos

This was fixed in the self-defense module released a few weeks ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.