latest version of nod av and downloading

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ellison64, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just try to download an evaluation version of shadow protect ,and noticed that ekrn.exe was at 100% and effectively hung firefox downloading the file.I tried 3 times and 3 times had firefox not responding errors.Disabling antivirus and antispyware protection in nod fixed this.What is the problem here?
    tia
    ellison

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you provide more details? Exact file being download/location? When in the download did it hang? Did it start okay then go all CPU, or did it go all CPU immediately, even before the download progress bar started to advance?

If it is the file: SPDesktop_Setup_3_1.exe from: http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

I just downloaded it without issue using Firefox, with 621 web access protection enabled - all threat sense options checked.

3. ellison64

Its not that file but the full evaluation file ,which you have to request.Heres a screenshot of what happens.Notice cpu monitor in system tray is at 100% caused by ekern.It seems to me that nod is having difficulty scanning large (multi megabyte) files.I am using w2000 pro 733mhz 392 ram and firefox,and nod is on default settings.Disabling the av allows everything to work correctly..The cpu goes to 100% as soon as the file starts to download and hangs.I guess i could just wait and see what happens though i waited for about 60 secs and the screen stayed like that.
    ellison

Attached Files:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you tried disabling self-extracting archives in the real-time protection setup? It's probably a large archive with tons of files inside so this may be the cause.

5. ellison64

Yes ive just attempted that.ekrn still hits 100% and firefox goes blank like the first pic.However after waiting for around 90secs the download seemed to have finished ,with a firefox not responding error at the same time??
    ellison

Attached Files:

6. LoPhatPhuud

LoPhatPhuud Spyware Fighter

I have had the same issue for both FireFox 2.0.0.11 and Interner Explorer v7.

Turning off self-extracting archives does nothing. It still happened downlaoding a *.rar file. In the past I have turned off Advanced Heuristics, Potential Unwanted Applications and Potential Unsafe Applications. All have no effect

This has happened on all NOD32 versions up to and including 621. But, it only happens on my Vista Desktop. No problem with the Win XP Sp2 Pro laptop

In my case the CPU goes to 50%

Desktop: Vista Ultimate, NOD32 3.0.621

LapTop: Windows XP SP2 Pro, NOD32 3.0.621

Uninstalling NOD32, deleting any remnants and re-installing fixes it for a while.

7. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

This is normal behavior for NOD32 and 2.7 did the same thing. I download tons of stuff and it only happens with bigger files. I am not worried about it and it only happens when the download gets to 99%. It means NOD32 is doing its job and scanning your download before its done. It doesn't bother me the least bit. I am using XP Sp2. I have a 3.0 P4 with 2 gigs of RAM so my system is fine.

8. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Sorry to say but your system is pretty old and out dated. Getting more RAM would do you alot good. 1 gig is standard now a days.

9. ellison64

No disrespect intended but you are talking rubbish.I gig is not needed for any pre xp/vista system ,thats used for general browsing and no labour intensive graphics.Also 2.7 version has never done what the screenshots show either (causing firefox errors in my case) and neither has any other current av (of which ive extensively tried many).This is the third licence renewal ive had with nod so i do know how it performed in the past and how it performs now.In fact ive only just recently installed the latest build because earlier builds had the gui bugs etc in w2000.Apart from this downloading problem nod 3 DOES seem to be in pretty good shape now and worth using again.I could just live with this downloading problem but please dont blame my OS for some obviously bad coding in this latest build.I do not believe that turning off any default settings (which doesnt work anyway)is much of an answer either.Perhaps thats what the right-click "disable antivirus and spyware" is now for.......so that one can download easily ?
    ellison

10. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Sorry its not rubbish its the truth. Check out any pc now a days and it has a gig of ram. My work lap top even has a gig straight out of the box from Dell. Thats XP not Vista.

11. ellison64

Hello vettetech.....
    Im not disputing the fact that any pc nowadays has 1 gig of ram or more.Thats because it needs it to run vista with any sort of reasonable performance.What im saying is that nod3 doesnt require 1 gig of ram or just XP/Vista to supposedly function correctly.
    Systems Requirements

* Processors supported: 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) Intel®, AMD® or 100% compatible
    * Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP (32 and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Vista (32 and 64-bit editions)
    * Memory: 33 - 38 MB on average
    * Disk Space (download): 16MB
    * Disk Space (installation): 78MB
    I know you are only trying to help ,however its frustrating for an OS to be blamed for esets bad coding.I think even nod die-hards will recognise that ekrn.exe takes a hell of a lot more cpu than it ought to performing even relatively simple functions,and 2.7 most definitly wasnt this bad.I know there was a slight delay at the end of the downloading procedure while it scanned ,but version 3 literally hogs the whole cpu ,causing other apps (firefox) to hang.Im not sure what thread priority ekrn is given in the coding but it most certainly isnt low or normal ,and if it is then it just isnt sticking to it.
    Anyway sorry for my rant ,i know you are only trying to help.Ive since uninstalled it and will try again in a few builds time.Im back to avast free which performs exactly as an av should regarding interaction with an OS......i.e no problems.
    On that note ill once again apolgise for my rant and wish you a very happy christmas :)
    ellison

12. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Merry Christmas to you also. I don't get the performance effects that you you since my machine can handle it. Honestly though if you simple uped your RAM ro 1 gig you will notice a 100% improvement. RAM is cheap and should only cost you 75 or less and takes seconds to install. You also might wanna cut down on your systray apps. I only have NOD32 and ZA in my systray. I also have all unessary services shut off. My pc runs only about 29 processes all the time.

13. ellison64

With all my processes running including windows 2000 pro,firefox with 10 tabs open,nod3,poppeeper,inksaver,roboform,admuncher,avast,processtamer,ultra cpu monitor ,sygate pro,and rainlendar i have 164meg of physical ram left not including paging file ram.Why do i need any more ram for nods dodgy coding to run?
    ellison

14. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

You say you only have 392 ram. Most system have 128,256,512 or 1024. Unless you have shared memory. 392 is not enough. I am a gamer and built my own system.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Happiest of seasons to all and if you don't mind let's do take some of the off topic concerning adequacy of members PC's to a more appropriate thread Please. Opinions have been expressed concerning ellison64's situation but We've devoted enough to those off topic opinions.

Thanks,
    Bubba

16. ellison64

How can it not be enough for my needs when my physcial memory doesnt drop below 160 megs?.I dont do gaming.
    ellison

17. ellison64

Merry christmas bubba :) ....
    Hey theres no problems discussing my spec if it isnt a problem with you.I know everyones trying to help ;)
    I know memory is important but in this case i fail to see how memory can improve my original problem with ekrn. as i still have 160 meg pysical
    ellison

18. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I am only trying to help your NOD32 problem. My cpu peaks out also right before a download is done but I dont notice the hit that much cause I still have plenty of cpu power and memory. You cannot change how your OS is or how NOD32 and Firefox handle download scans but you can change how your pc performs. I am a GM technician by trade. If you dont like how your can handles you cannot change the road correct? But you can change your tires and struts to make your car handle the road better. Get my point?

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your spec's are in deed adequate and opinions disputing those facts have been expressed but no We will not continue with the back and forth, yes they are no they are not off topic posts. That's all I am asking and have unfortunately taken this thread off topic again needing to explain this request.

and Merry Christmas to you also,
    Bubba

20. ellison64

Of course i get your point and i agree to a large extent.However my motherboard wont support anything more than 512meg ,and i have 1 cpu not 2.What you say is in all probability true however theres no disputing the fact (on my system at least) that nod3 hogs the cpu and causes problems and i still have 160 plus meg of ram showing free in my ram monitor.The cpu (733) may be another factor however ,again theres no disputing the fact that nod3 should run easily on the system that i have.The fact that it doesnt and watching ekrn hit 100% on many actions (not only downloading or updating) but opening gui and some other apps suggest to me that it is bad coding in nod.
    ellison

21. ellison64

Thank you bubba...i think i get you :)

I will leave it at that and try future builds.
    merry xmas
    ellison

22. poutine

poutine Registered Member

Hi,
    If its a fault with NOD, i think you'd get hi peaks at 100% even with 3 gigs.
    A lot of programs these days have problems with hi peak, a well know free firewall had big issues like that but with some improved coding and tweaking it got fixed, same will happen with NOD im sure.
    It isnt the end of the world anyway , and im sure it only peaks while its scanning the download. Dont worry too much about that.
    Enjoy today guys and merry Xmas to you all. ;)

23. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello Ellison!

You are not alone. I had similar issues with NOD and Firefox. I do have 1.5 g ram so it is not a problem. But every time i download a bigger file and when it comes to 99% everything freezes for few seconds. Nothing responds. It is very annoying. I can leave with for now. I will give NOD sometime iron things out before i decide if i roll back to version 2.7.

24. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

NOD also freezes up my Firefox windows when a download is about to complete. It froze for over 30 secs with just a 28MB file download. Running Vista 32 bit also.

25. ellison64

Thanks for the confirmation.It is as i believed ...nothing to do with memory and more to do with bad coding.The reason i believe this is because no other current av has the same affect .
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.