Latest version of FirstDefense?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by PeterVO, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

according to the info on the Leapfrog Website the latest version is 1.10.172 which came out on 17/07/06.
    Consulting the Raxco site, their latest is build 166 dating from 12/8/2005.
    Why does it take that long for Raxco to update? o_O
    Could I just download the latest version from Leapfrog and install it over the Raxco one?

Kind regards,

PeterVO

2. Dina

Dina Registered Member

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My advice : don't use the Leapfrog version, it's a beta version and has no support.
    The final version is still build 166 until Raxco publishes a new version.
    You can't use a beta version for softwares on this level. FDISR isn't a spreadsheet or browser
    Just be patience. :)

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The Leapfrog version isn't beta. It is the version they offer to their resellers, like Raxco. However, Raxco & others do their own in-house beta testing before offering the same to the public, apparently. It is essentially the same software - build .166 on the Raxco site is like build .166 that was on the Leapfrog site, albeit with some cosmetic differences.

5. ErikAlbert

The average users aren't resellers and if resellers like to test Leapfrog version first, I consider this as good as a beta, because they are not selling it for some reasons.
    I only deal with Raxco. :)

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It has already been beta-tested by Leapfrog. It's just vendors like Raxco do their own internal testing as well, which, by the way, seems to be taking too long IMO.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Couple of factors, Tony. 1) It's not just a matter of beta testing it, but they also have to train themselves to be able to support the new version. Also I believe Raxco is also working on Version 8 of Perfect Disk, so that factors into their time allocation.

Pete

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It must be comforting that Peter and ErikAlbert are always right. :)
    But I agree with Tony, Leapfrog Software released a small bugfix after build 169, and the 172 build is running fine if you can live without the Raxco make-up/support.

9. ErikAlbert

I don't know what is going on at Leapfrog and Raxco, I don't participate in the development of FDISR. I also don't know to whom I'm talking at Wilders.
    So if a member asks me which version of FDISR, I play safe and recommend to use the Raxco (final) version of FDISR, the one I use, not the Leapfrog version.
    I don't have any problem, if the member decides to use the Leapfrog version. It's not my computer.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure where the sarcastic remark, or what being "always right about". I asked Raxco about this a while back, and what I said above was the answer I got from them. If I read that wrong, my apologies.

Pete

11. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Mine says version 2.14 build 122 tried to update from site but says windows patch or soemthing didnt work does it matter re update still works fine? MD

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's possible Raxco discovered the problems fixed in build .172 during their internal testing, and reported them to Leapfrog hence such a speedy update on Leapfrog's part. I dunno really, just surmising. :)

13. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I expect they're particularly busy with that right now.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I expect they will be if the new version is slated to be released this fall.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Seeing as PD v8 is being released to the public next Tuesday, 12th, I wonder how soon we can expect to see Raxco issue the new release of FD-ISR. They must have tested it against PD v8; in fact, the FD-ISR exclusion is still there in my copy of the program.

16. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Now you know "the rest of the story", I was busy along with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.