Latest Matousec Sec Challenge Results(Firewalls)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hayc59, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

2. fax

fax Registered Member

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well done outpost.2nd place.:thumb:

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Matousec is more of a complete security vulnerability test than a firewall test. A good packet filter Firewall would not have a chance against these kind of test. A good packet filter Firewall like Look 'n' Stop could fail the test, and still be one of the best products in it's category. The reason being is that the product is designed for an entirely different purpose.

A good HIPS normally do well against these type of test. I'm wondering how some other products like Appguard, VoodooShield, and Faronics AE would do against these type of test. I'm not sure how one could conduct the test against these products since these products are designed in many cases to stop the executable from ever executing. So the way in which the test are conducted may have to be modified to make the testing possible. I could be wrong though since I have not read in depth on how the executables are executed. For instance, in Appguard's case if an attempt was made to execute the executables from the userspace then they should be automatically blocked from executing if the executable is unsigned. If Appguard was set to lockdown mode then the executable would be blocked from executing from the userspace even if the executable was signed. If Appguard was set to high level of protection then a signed executable would be allowed to execute from the userspace, but it would be guarded so it should only execute with limited rights. So in many cases according to their testing methodology their executable may never be allowed to execute in the first place. I'm not sure if this makes a difference in their test, but I wonder why some of the products such Appguard, VoodooShield, and Faronics AE have not been included in the test. Maybe its money or maybe their test are not designed for such products. I've wondered about this for some time now. I guess I need to read into detail how Matousec perform their test.

I would also like to see how Sandboxie would do in these test. Sandboxes should also perform well against these types of test since their policies should not allow the threat to manipulate the actual system. In other words it should contain the threat inside the sandbox.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I'm with you Beethoven1770.. check this out.. :D

http://www.matousec.com/

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i dont care about paid results. :thumbd: never ever wondered why comodo is anytime on first place?

Privatefirewall 7.0.28.1 is really outdated (7.0.29.1 is present)
    ThreatFire has lost support over a year ago and is still listed.

that list cant be serious without a note about thoses issues.

7. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Junk, makes me wonder why people fall for this crap? :argh:

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Because people always want to know, which is the best, which is in the top 10, but it is understandable since people do not go to Wilders for an advice, they ask Google.

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

According to the test results, this might have something to do with it:
    How many other tricks like this are missed by the tester? Although matousec is controversial around these parts, I find value in the testing the do.

10. Gringo95

Gringo95 Registered Member

Folks would get better advice asking next doors cat about firewalls than relying on this having found it via Google. :D

11. SLE

SLE Registered Member

It's nothing new that matousec "test" has not much to do with reality, compares apples and pears, is easy to fool and mostly a marketing machine for some ... Some interesting posts about it here and so on.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t see OA there

13. The Red Moon

Tall emu the original developer of OA had a financial dispute with matousec and so OA is not admitted anymore until a financial agreement is in place but from what i remember OA was always second place.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I believe OA, and Comodo bounced back and forth between 1st, and 2nd place.

15. Dunkan

Dunkan Registered Member

It is always possible to encrypt packet and avoid a good packet filter ;)

16. Dunkan

Dunkan Registered Member

Such "independent" testers depend on vendors money...

17. The Red Moon

Pay more and receive more seems to be the order of things involving independent tests.

18. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi
    Of course this methodology will make no sense against pure firewall that focused on packet filtring https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1902320#post1902320
    Hiyack what others have done before for free (Gkweb/firewallleaktester, HIPS devs tools, HIPS tests mostly), promote products that guive you a few dollars more and make money with an HERESY of firewall testing concept...

Independency is not compatible with money and interest conflicts.
    This methodology is for the most part an HIPS assessment abilities of some various products (Security suites, av, firewall, HIPS suites), and is far from a proffessional testing way (pentesting with intrusion and data leak via tunneling for instance).

Rgds

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks

20. The Red Moon

Your most welcome.!

21. guest

guest Guest

so you can see what drives matousec... independant? yes sure.... :rolleyes:

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Uff... Every time the same discussion. That's why I suggested post #2 to keep it always in the same thread as users can refer already to the hundreds of posts about it. :thumbd:

23. When defensewall 3.0 came out (was in alpha), Ilya tried to included DW at matousec. Would be a nice testimonial of its protection (also a product specific test AV-Comparatives scoring 100% just before launch of DW 3.0). At that time I tested DW 3.0 prerelease against the Matousec suite. It scored a full 100%.

Matousec does not want to take the entry point into regard. Even good old windows throws a warning when you try to run something from the internet. So sandbox / containment programs (HIPS) based on these policies are not welcome at Matousec. Matousec test products when companies do not ask for it. When a product has a firewall it is not included because it not according Matousec's testing policies.

IMO Matousec should not have market exposure here at Wilders, see for instance https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=344241 Let's all refuse to post about Matousec and apply a 'cordon sanitair'

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  24. Dunkan

Dunkan Registered Member

But you can download matousec's tests and check DefenseWall firewall
    I think results will be fine

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Which in itself makes his tests useless. All the black hats have to do is download his tests, and make sure the malware they write works around the solutions to his tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.