Latest Hacker Havens: Free Hosting and Free Subdomains

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tech Manager, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

Competition for internet advertising dollars has encouraged many companies to offer free subdomains to those who might provide enough content to produce a few clicks on the affiliate marketing banner ads and other advertisements generally required as part of these free services. Not a bad deal. But, there is a more ominous side to free hosting and free subdomain services. Free hosting services are becoming havens for hackers, spammers, cross-site scripting agents and other forms of malicious or criminal behavior.

On any given day I monitor 50-500 hack attempts made possible through these free service websites. I am not suggesting that the sites themselves are willing participants or are even aware their sites and servers are being used as tools by criminal cyber-gangs or malicious individuals. But I do believe they share some responsibility for scripts being placed on their servers.

Read full article here

I'd like to know your thoughts.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

3. Tech Manager

Tech Manager Registered Member

Those techniques may help the casual web surfer but they don't protect the website from variable hijacking.

But I digress. I'd like to know your thoughts on free hosting services as they relate to malicious scripts.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yep, they're client-side techniques to protect the web surfer.
    Sorry, I know very little about hosting services. I'd guess that those free hosting services have lazy admins whom care very little about security. Unpatched software, weak settings, slowness to check the content hosted, etc may be common things on these sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.