Latest AV-comparatives.org test results ( was latest test resultsfor Nod32)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Edwin024, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Re: Latest test results for Nod32

No, the settings are the same (best possible). Heuristics/generic detection can not find everything. E.g. KAV is fast in releasing signatures for samples they receive, so if samples are known or old, KAV scores in August test better. I understand your question, but atm I am busy with finishing a document so I dunno how explain it better in english in a short time. (If others can, your are welcome ;). In some hours another additional document will be on the website...

2. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

OK to summerize

This isn't a full test but it is a quick test that looks at some samples of new malware that was discovered between 6th August and 6th November 2004

It uses the viral databases and Antivirus programs from 6th August even though the test was actually performed in early November

So the idea of the test is to see if any of the antiviruses using the old virus definition files and old program versions that were actually used in the original August tests would have detected these new malwares if they had been circulating at the time that the original tests were done

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The goal of the test is e.g. to see the pure proactive detection capability; how scanners are reliable to discover virus/malware before they are known to the AV companies (before they have released a signature for them).

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Andreas

When you do the next set of tests will you consider a few additional antiviruses
    I would suggest AVG as it is the most popular free one and that would make very interesting comparison between the well established paid for AV's and a free one whether it actually does protect as well as many people think it does

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide

Not to hijack this thread but we use for example today's date as 30 NOV 04 or 30NOV04. Any question on which is what?

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Yes, AVG will be very probably included in the tests of 2005 (like you can read on the website). I was not tested before because some conditions were not filled and I also missed e.g. the permission from Grisoft.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just hope we will be finally able to see complete comparison between free AVs.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Is it possible to scan with NOD by using that without signatures but Advanced Heuristics enabled option also, just to check how many hidden not published infections there are in av:s database?

I don't want to attack against NOD now in this case but because only with NOD it's possible to check? It's sad, that only NOD has this option available in their GUI to check how heuristics works!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Post no 28
    So the latest test produces pure heuristic results, yes?
    hmm. Nice.

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

no. generic techniques also.

11. no13

Is there an underlying difference? On the surface they appear to be same.

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the difference is little, but I would not call it a pure heuristic test. Some scanners claim to have a heuristic, but in reality they mean generic detections; generic detection is some kind of heuristic, but not a real heuristic like e.g. norman, mks_vir, drweb, nod32, etc. has.

13. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I just want to inform everyone that since some minutes there is a new link on the website: http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum
    I hope you like it.

14. no13

I'm afraid I don't understand.
    Does it mean limited heuristics based on past experiences with signatures? While heuristics means full blown attempts to discover all remote possibilities of *virus-like* activities?

15. ???

??? Guest

I cannot read the test because the .pdf documents won't open on my machine. I have tried two .pdf viewers called Jaws and Foxit. I will not install Adobe because of certain well-known security problems.

Please help, IBK.

TIA, ntl

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

This time the PDF's are encrypted with Adobe Acrobat 6.0, so you will need the lastest version in order to open the PDF (reason: also for security reasons :p). I did not have time to check, but I think it should be possible to open it with Acrobat if you install the lastest version. Install Adobe and then uninstall it if there is no other possibility :-(
    If any other persons have solutions ready, post it!

17. ???

??? Guest

@IBK

I do not believe that this inconvenient encryption will solve your security problems. It is still possible to make a screenshot of your report. (And if you have not disabled "printing" the entire encryption is worthless.)

I do not understand why you are so terribly afraid of being copied by someone. Isn't it more important to maximize the number of your readers?

Also the following "security measure" seems a little bit harsh:

"there is a huge list of IP addresses and IP ranges on a blacklist ...
    Due this long list, it can sometimes happen that even if you are totally innocent you are banned from this forum ... In that case you could try to change your IP, but if the problem persists, forget this forum - sorry. Please do not bother me about this and do not ask me for unbans, as such mails etc. will be (most probably) ignored."

Anyway, would love to read your interesting test...

ntl

18. no13

weren't there s'posed to be online PDF conversion toolso_O
    What *well known* problems?

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

PDF can be only opened with Adobe Reader (its the best known PDF viewer anyway). I don't know where did you hear about Adobe Reader security risks.

20. ???

??? Guest

http://channels.lockergnome.com/new...e_handler_buffer_overflow_vulnerability.phtml

“Exploitation of a buffer overflow vulnerability in Adobe Reader 6.0 could allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code….Successful exploitation allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code under the privileges of the local user. Remote exploitation is possible by sending a specially crafted e-mail and attaching the malicious PDF document….iDEFENSE has confirmed that Adobe Acrobat Reader version 6.0.1 is vulnerable. It is suspected that other versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader are vulnerable as well. Adobe Acrobat may also be vulnerable.”

21. Mikky

Mikky Guest

Another typical post from the NOD users appreciation society.

22. no13

I think a firewall would help.

Now will some one get us back on topic?

23. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Yes, no13, I think you can say something like that, correct. ;)

24. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

As far as I see it with various antivirus applications Heuristics are checking for virus like activity and behaviour which is why there is normally a high risk of false positives

Whereas Generic detections is signature based but but rather than a specific signature for as an example AGOBOT.aa it will detect all agobot versions based on a wide ranging signature but wouldn't be able to tell which version of agobot, just that it is agobot as KAV does with certain malwares until it gets copies to include

So similar but not the same

25. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I would say that NOD32 did extremely well on this test. It would be nice to see the programs tested against non-viral situations in order to determine the extent they are sensitive to false positives. Pest Patrol is an example of a program that is very painful to use because of FPs.

However, it is nice to know that NOD32 can detect new viruses with a good amount of reliability and I probably will use it as a backup scanner to KAV. I still like KAV's overall coverage based upon what I have experienced on my own machine and what appears on viruscan.jotti when I vist it from time to time. Still, the site proclaims that there are viruses that get by all of the scanners on any given day, so a complete solution may be out-of-reach. I am hopeful that the combination of KAV, NOD32, and ProcessGuard is more than enough. However, I would feel even better if I could finally find a reliable image copy program for XP. ;) I am confounded there are so many ATs, and AVs yet it is so difficult to find a good image copy program. Well c'est la vie.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.