Latest Antivirus Test Results Feb 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by VoX, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoX

VoX Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here obviously, but I've seen a lot great information here. I'm at a crossroads with two different antivirus systems at the moment. Kaspersky and NOD32. Tried both and each has their ups and downs. I have been leaning toward NOD32 because of the 'in the wild' capability I keep hearing about but this is what bothers me.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I'm wondering if anyone here can shed some light on this subject for me. Why did NOD32 score lower than GOD awful Mcafee? Are these results reliable? Are there other test result websites I can check out? Thanks for your time.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Because god awful McAfee isn't that terrible as many may think (especially not McAfee Enterprise Edition 8.0i). And McAfee was on the scene when ESET didn't even exist. It's just the way it is. McAfee is using strong generic signatures (just like Kaspersky and BitDefender) for Rbots,SpyBots and similar where NOD32 can rely only on heuristics (it doesn't use any generic signatures for these).
    And when the test base is so big there can be many misses just because of that. And ofcourse raw signature strenght (how many signatures is used) also help alot for higher score.
    But if i'm honest score of ~95% is a very good result for NOD32.

3. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Hey there Vox, welcome to Wilders! In the test you are linking to the reason NOD scored lower than McAfee is probably because the tests used a lot of "zoo" viruses which means they are not "in the wild". Also if you look at their ProActive Tests which means generic detection by heuristics, NOD came out on top at 49%. In this test they purposely use out of date signatures on each program to see which antiviruses can catch the most malware without having the signatures yet in their database. NOD was the ONLY ONE to catch all "in the wild" viruses with these out of date signatures.

Here is another test done by our own resident AV tester here at Wilders, FireFighter. BTW for future reference, you are only allowed to link to the main AV-Comparatives home page, not the specific test.

Attached Files:

4. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

Here's an interesting article that outlines some of the troubles with the definition of an "in the wild" virus". There are a few problems with it, and the reliance on the detection of them. At the same time, it outlines a few problems with turning your back on "zoo" viruses. NO specific AV's are mentioned.

Neil

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1813

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

That article was a good read. Thanks for posting.

Welcome to Wilders VoX

Another article here --> SC Magazine (Multiple variants of viruses and worms call for new defense strategies)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have made a new test by categorizing some samples according to McAfee VSE 8.0i too.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

May seem like a stupid question but , why is ewido mixed in with each ? How does that give an accurate result of an AV program ?

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

hollywoodpc, Read the post carefully, Firefighter's having results for both the product itself and the product with Ewido combined.

9. erikguy

erikguy Registered Member

Thank you for your hard work Firefighter!! Appreciated as always! :D

10. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Firefighter, thanks for all the testing you do to help all of us!

I have a hard time determining if any of the products you are testing with are Free or Not Free.

Any chance you could use a different font color for the PAY versions... maybe GREEN?

THANKS,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.