LastPass to cure password hell?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Absolutely! :D Anything I ever scribble anywhere is always just my opinion. Ask my friends, I'm an authority on nothing!

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

For me this addon it is a dream come true.I understand people's concern regarding privacy and why not all can feel the same regarding this addon
    But if the most important password is from gmail :D and for various reasons(work,hobby) you have to log in to many sites,i don't think it can get any better than this.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

You need to replace all your memorized passwords and update your accounts with new generated passwords from OnePassword.

4. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

Is there a way to change your all passwords at once if they say " we get an attack and some of our users passwords had been stolen sorry for this".

5. wilbertnl

Well, the database with your passwords is encrypted on your local system before stored on the server. And you are the only one who knows the encryption key. If the server was hacked and the database was opened, hackers would get access to data that has different encryption keys for each and every user.
    It's all just unreadable data for them.

To answer your question, you can't change all passwords at once.

6. papillonn

That is what they say, which encryption they use to encrypt files on my machine, AES etc...? For an hacker attack to a password poll is easier than to attack everyone's computer one by one so their storage is look like a dinner with beautiful girl for hackers imo. So what is the law side of this? What is going to happen if all data gone from their servers? Would they hold any responsibilty?
    If they know how encrypt they probably know how to decrypt, right?
    I really wish to use this application but some question marks hold me back.

7. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I've used KeePass on my thumb drives for years and was looking for something more robust that worked with browsers. Lastpass is just that. It works with most browsers such as IE/FF/Chrome/Safari and most smartphones. I uses encrypted files between you and their servers. I wouldn't put my paypal info on it but for my average browsing I've had no problems with it at all.

It does everything that KeePass does and you can even import Keepass databases into it or export everything back to FF. It is a very killer app.

8. wilbertnl

Yes, they do know how to decrypt, which is needed to retrieve your passwords in order to fill the fields.

But they don't know your master password, which is used as encryption key.

9. papillonn

All of my logins are important for me. This is why i need to be sure of security.
    You know MITM or Janus attacks, the main fear is that for me. And you believe that simple 12 chars strong password would be enough to stop a hacker to stell all my moneys, credit card informations, even notes which i may use it to save my software licenses or registration infos. This is why i ask what kind of encryption they use?

I would feel more secure if they use a file while unlocking the password database like in truecrypt.

10. wilbertnl

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  11. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I'm neither old nor cantankerous, but i agree. I couldn't think of anything worse than having all my emails on Google's server, all my passwords on some other freebie companies server and so on.

USB backup storage is cheap, and i encrypt my own data and upload it to my own server and rely on my own little "cloud".

12. papillonn

Securing passwords is not a problem for me. I must also effectively use them.The main frame of lastpass is the usage flexibility. Even roboform still can't implement itself to Opera. There are good features which lastpass gives. So i need to well understand it really well. thanks for links wilbertnl. I will check it out but in 5 years i can buy a windows 8 license if i put 1 dolars once a month to my wallet :)

13. wilbertnl

Just now I noticed that Grid Authentication is available for the free version.
    Interesting?

14. mjgent

mjgent Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. It works great! :thumb:

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

id be lost without Lastpass, i am reliant on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.