large secure transfers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikeo1313, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

I just got a 1tb drive and had a 300gb & 500gb.

I pretty much have a substantial amount of music & stock video between the 300 & 500 drives and intent to copy all contents of both drives to the 1tb drive since I want to re-arrange the partitions and reformat them for my intended future use.

In the past when I've copied MANY GB's I wasn't sure things went 100% well and by formal discovery noticed 50% of my files were garbled.

I just realized maybe my best bet is doing a plain backup with shadowprotect and doing a verification but this will also require a restore procedure and a ton of time. Also I have winrar and there is an option to delete files allready archived, put recovery record and test archived files but I will also result in a zip or rar file and it will require a process & time to unravel the package.

So, is there any copy software out there so I can avoid the hassel of a restore or decompression procedure, have and corruption/outage nightmares en-route and have the security & integrity of a backup verification all while simply copying without any translationo_O

Thanks!

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    What do you mean by garbled?
    As to copy software, try Karen's Replicator.
    Mrk

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I have used Tera Copy with good results, but not with such large file transfers.
    Other utility which i read good reviews is Unstoppable Copier.

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I am using xPlorer2’s robust file transfer commands for this kind of task, otherwise TeraCopy is good alternative that I used before. I also know of a similar one called FastCopy (standalone) but did not try it...

5. mikeo1313

Ruinebabine, thanks for the suggestion, does xplorer2 robust file transfer do an md5 veification like fastcopy?

6. mikeo1313

Better yet, does any of those other copy programs do some kind of MD5 copy verification like fastcopy? I didn't seem to catch that detail while sniffing the feature list of the other programs. Thanks again!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. mikeo1313

Text files with code jibberish. Most peculiarly of all was playing an mp3 that had partial contents or audio from another song. It was catastrophic, now that I remember well it wasn't just a symptom from a single copy action but a copy after a failed partition resize not to mention the following boot went into a chkdsk that spinned a list or corrected files that lasted many minutes scrolling on the blue screen. I think there was an outage in the middle of the copy also. Generally the point is when you copy allot of stuff after something like that happens to you, you need a tool to prevent the worst case senario. But ultimately it seems I had to copy my stuff first then do the resize.

8. mikeo1313

I just read somewhere that windows explorer does a copy verification by default unless in command line.

I wonder if that translates to the way those programs also copy.

9. ruinebabine

If you want to have an idea of this great feature of xPlorer2, and its advantages over windows standard doing, you could download the User Manual, and open the pdf document at pages 129-136. I don't think that it can automaticly do an hash authentication of the transfered file but I could be wrong.

10. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I'd use Unstoppable Copier, and when done, use TestPath to test for corruption issues.

11. mikeo1313

described many features but nothing about hash confirmations.

12. mikeo1313

I figured I'm going to use teracopy & testpath.

I'm going to keep unstoppable copy handy JIK since it seems like it analyzes seek times. Let me mention thought that once I did use HDD regenerator on an allready failed disk and was able to get all the information off, afterwhich the drive totally did crap out:p, call it coincidence, ironicallyo_O while the HDD regenerator was doing its magic it stated very specifically that you will have limited time before your drive finally craps out:ninja:.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

13. mikeo1313

testpath doesn't work for comparing large amounts of data or atleast it crashes when I try.

14. ruinebabine

But doesn't TeraCopy have a check CRC feature (the "Test" button on GUI interface, if my memory's serving me well)? If yes, why not using it when you feel a verification check is needed? Or you can use any other third party integrity checker after the copy was processed...

15. mikeo1313

Not sure but I believe when I clicked this it didn't do anything, will look into this next time.

16. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I'm using the latest beta 2.0 beta 4.It has this function.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.