laptops and bloated software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HI, I always find it stupid how company's like dell always advertise saying have a custom pc with what you want on it but then they load tons of bloated software no one wants.
    also its funny that they say how fantastic the intel and amd processers are then limit there speed due to all the rubbish bloated software.
    my next door neighbors laptop 2.1 core duo was so slow to start with intill i got rid of all the crap software then it went flying along.
    so its not a custom pc really since you didnt ask them to add tons of bloated software to slow it down.
    all the installing and uninstalling makes more and more problems.
    also it would save the staff who install all the bloated software alot of time if they didnt install it.
    so they well made but they load tons of crap on them for no real reason.
    you have to eiether uninstall it all and then install the stuff you want or ask for the cd and do a fresh install.
    lodore

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The answer is simple. Have your computer built by a local computer shop or build it yourself.

Most of the big computer manufacturers have "partners" that provide all that bloat.

3. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Iodore,

The reason is a monetary benefit for these manufacturers. Those who don't imbibe in this practice are sadly in the minority.

Michele

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

try to stay on topic Ronjor this is about bloat on laptops:D
    can you get a local system builder to build a laptop?
    @lafemmemichele,
    alienware now owned by dell have no bloat at all all they load on it is the OS lastest drivers and there cut down OEM version of windowblinds called alienguise.
    with dell laptops its fine if you get the install cd which i would do if ordering a dell laptop ever.
    but my nextdoor neighbour got a recovery partition so i had to uninstall all the bloat.
    my current pc was built by quite a big company but didnt have any bloat.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The topic is "laptops and bloated software". Build your own laptop. Tom's Hardware

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Ronjor
    lodore

7. LaFemmeMichele

Ronjor & Iodore,

Besides the cost, you couldn't test out your configuration to see how it stacks up until after the fact!
    Using the specs of your neighbor's Dell, Iodore, what's the cost increase? Curious.

Michele

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what do you mean the cost increse?
    so you mean how much more would it cost to have a full windows cd with it instead of recovery partition?
    the odd thing is on the dell website the default option has a reinstall cd but he did use the code from a newspaper and order on the phone.
    lodore

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Velocity Micro sells laptops without any bloatware.

10. LaFemmeMichele

Using the link Ronjor gave us, what's the breakdown (don't bother unless you were going to anyway!)? Dell can do it for less (and make $ from the software co.s)! I know you can't get the trash off the lower priced models but you may have the option on the higher lines. Have you called Dell?

What's the deal with the partition? Why does it matter?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not thinking about buying a laptop i which i could afford one:D
    i was just wondering why they bundled all the bloatware on them
    if i ever got a dell i would get a os cd with it and reinstall from scratch and then have all the stuff i want on it and no rubbish.
    my tutor at college has a dell laptop and he just got a reinstall cd and started from scratch.
    lodore

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

IBMs don't have so much extra crap - just a weblink or two last time I got a new one out of the box.

13. LaFemmeMichele

Peter,
    Thank you! I was playing around "customizing"! :)
    -M

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so was i lol
    check out alienware they are alsome!

lodore

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It is a system recovery partition. A lot of the companies do that now instead of giving you a restore CD with it. Saves them a few pennies per PC. 2 problems with it. 1) It takes up hdd space. 2) If you have a hdd mechanical failure then the restore partition dose you no good. You then have to contact Dell for one of their hdds` with the software pre-installed. If you are no longer under warranty I have no idea of the cost versus getting a blank hdd off the shelf and reloading your own software.

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Or just run the pc de-crapifier née Dell decrapifier to automate all or most of the removal. It's really not terribly complicated, even if done manually for that matter. As I recall, a completely manual effort is done in less than 10 minutes.

Blue

17. LaFemmeMichele

Probably more than the PC is worth at that point! Iodore knows about partitions & I don't want to steal his thread. I should ask elsewhere, like back in mine! ;)

18. LaFemmeMichele

Great link! How would you know what you couldn't remove? I was ridding this PC of Quicken & I bumped up against an Intuit "shared" file & stopped. It was attached to God knows what! All I could think was that I might rip a hole in a firewall of some type if I kept at it. How far can you go?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

perfect link Thanks Blue.
    lodore

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@LaFemmeMichele,
    I dont mind you asking questions in my thread.
    people are answering my questions as well so no harm done
    lodore

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    My dad has an IBM Thinkpad - very little crap on it.
    I know a vendor, from which I buy me PCs, they'll sell you either laptop or desktop with as little or as much bloat as you ask for - it's all the question of money. For all they care, you can buy laptop without anything, not even Windows.
    Mrk

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Since the topic is laptops and bloated software , I think malware is also included in that category .

Have you noticed that most (well , lots of laptops ) come with malware in them) ? :eek: Well , I have .

My personal laptop 's CD contains a trojan in it (the one with drivers and bloated programs) and everytime I reinstall Windows and install the drives I install this trojan , then remove it with antivirus and go on . The same applies for other new laptops which I recently bought for the office - FS laptops (intentially I am not saying exactly the laptop name). In their CDs they contains a trojan which most antiviruses can find . The situation was that when I bought the computers (you know they are new and they look brilliant) at first I didn't think of how to protect them . They came with Norton IS installed which detected nothing but when it was removed and another AV installed , it flagged the file and put it in the quarantine . I submitted that file to VirusTotal and I was shocked :eek: to understand that the manufacter distributes malware . FS includes Norton which was blind of that malware so that someone else takes care of my data . The file(s) were not false positive and were not pottentially dangerous tools , real trojans . I contacted FS support , sent them that file and the VT report and they were so impudent to answer me that all these antiviruses on VirusTotal are lying . :blink:

So , Lodore , it is all business and partners ...

:)

23. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That is exactly what it is. Not just lap tops either. The PC manufacturers get $$$ form the software companies for each PC sold with their "crap" ware installed on it. Probably something like a data miner is bundled in there as well. This way not only do the PC manufacturers get dollars from the software vendors, they also get it from what ever data clearing house\spam generator they are in partnership with as well. It is all about making a $ any way they can......at their customers expense. And the average user never has a clue it is going on.:blink:

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Fujitsu-Siemens laptops? :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Perhaps a slip in the QA like the recent iPod scandal?
    To my knowledge, the only "big" laptop brands that put little crap in their notebooks are IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba.

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well Dell put tons of crap on there pc/laptops as well. and im sure HP do as well.
    acer dont put much rubbish on it.
    acer dont even install Norton they just put a desktop install icon for norton and give you a disc for the latest version of Norton.
    so i just installed antivir premium and that was it.
    btw im talking about my sister's laptop.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.