Laptop upgrade

Discussion in 'hardware' started by MikeNAS, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

On next week I'm gonna upgrade my laptop little bit. I change my normal 2,5" Seagate 100GB 7200rpm 8MB SATA harddrive to OCZ Core 32GB SSD SATA. I also change my 2X1GB PC5300 CL5 G.Skill to 2x2GB PC5300 CL4 memorys. Not sure how much speed I get but that upgrade costs around 200 euros. Of course much more when I sell old parts.

Later I order warranty because fan is too loud. They should change motherboard and processor so I hope Core Duo>Core 2 Duo for free :D Other wise I have to buy processor myself.

I inform more later...

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I hope you are running XP as vista would fill a 32gb hdd pretty quick. And unless you are running a 64bit OS you won't be able to use all 4gb of ram either. Under normal use i would say you will not see any improvement in performance by adding more ram. Your best bet would be to put a better cpu in, the latest core 2 duo's are blazingly fast. I run a core 2 extreme X9000 cpu @ 3.4ghz and my laptop absolutely flys (very pricey tho!).

3. MikeNAS

Totally true. I'm running heavily modified XP (of course) and it takes only 500MB space so 32GB isn't a problem. Because my CPU (Core Duo T2300) isn't 64bit capable I can't run 64bit OS and take advantage of 4GB memory. But but... I believe that upgrades lower my computer memory and hard drive latency a lot. Will see... C2D upgrade is coming too but I choose T7200.

Parts are sold out so I have to wait a little bit more.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The new cpu will really help out, i run a T7700 on my xp laptop and it runs very nicely. The 4mb cache which the T7200 also has really makes a difference. Have you considered the newer T8 or T9 cpu's which are even faster and use less power?

5. MikeNAS

Wrong socket :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.