Laptop HDD query

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tradetime, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi, I have an old IBM Thinkpad A22m I think the hdd has packed up. Are laptop hdd specific to make and model or are they all the same, ie can I just go to somewhere like ebuyer and order a Samsung or Seagate hdd and it will fit my IBM ok?
    Thanx

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

As long as the hdd to mobo connection are the same then any 2.5 inch hdd will work.

Some things to take into consideration. Possible BIOS limitations on hdd compacity, read\write times, cache size, RPMs.

Older lap top hard drives were usually 4200 RPMs. Newer are 5400 and some 7200 ones can be found. Be aware though that higher RPMs will usually equal more heat generated.

3. tradetime

Thanx for the reply ThunderZ, the drive is 5400rpm, but have no idea about all the rest of the stats.

One of the reasons for asking was although this link is for a different model, the idea is similar, in that this hdd has a plastic bit attached by screws at either side much like that one, that would require all laptop hhd's to have screw holes there in order to fit properly presumably, and not all laptop hdd's are mounted like ibm's

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

To be fair since it's an old laptop, my guess would be a USB HDD would actually be faster access, I've seen this in the past.

5. tradetime

Hadn't thought of that, though not sure it's worth the hassle.

6. ThunderZ

2.5 hdd`s, to the best of my knowledge have "universal" mounting holes. Match up the mobo interface device. Probably ATA in this instance and you should be all set.

7. tradetime

Thanx again ThunderZ, strangely it seems to be behaving properly again, but I'm sure that won't last

8. tradetime

Ok, sorry to be a pain, symptoms, on startup, frequently drive seems to give off a continuous clicking sound, and sometimes startup very slow, this is a clean W2k install btw, the clicking is almost loud enough to be called a knocking sound can feel it through the casing. I assume I am correct in my assumption that this is a drive on it's way out, when it starts and is up and running, it seems to be ok. Disk management says it is a healthy disk.

This is the drive I am considering as a replacement.

9. ThunderZ

There are two kinds of failures a hdd can suffer.

1)The surface of the disk = data storage area can go bad. This of course leads to data corruption and lose of said data.

2)Mechanical failure. Either the disk will no longer spin up. Or, the head(s) which read the data and or the arm it\they are mounted on becomes damaged or starts to wear out.
    Disk management will usually not show this.

In your case it sounds like the arm and or head is wearing out or has become damaged. The clicking is usually caused by the arm as it is moving back and forth across the surface of the disk attempting to read\write data.

Your current drive may continue to run for years, or, it could fail within the next few seconds. Prompt data back-up and replacement are recommended ASAP.

I did not look into the specs of your lap top to see what the drive to mobo interface is. But if the linked drive interface matches it then you should have no problem removing the old then simply reversing the procedure to install the new.

10. tradetime

Thanx again, that's all understood, it's an old "travel" laptop, I carry with me on holidays for in hotel internet etc, contains no important info, and what is on it is backed up anyways. Contrary to my assumotion above this is a 4200rpm drive, the same model as this one

11. ThunderZ

You should have no problem upgrading to the 5400 rpm.

Having looked around the net I am seeing 160GB drives sold as direct replacement upgrades for your model.

This should prove to be a nice little upgrade with a bit of a performance increase as well.

12. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Note the faster these 2.5HDD spin the more battery life they require. 5,400 rpm is fine. 7,200 rpm is better but uses more battery. Larger HDDs can be put into older systems with 6GB HDD just update the BIOS.

13. ThunderZ

If the OEM has made a BIOS update available. Not always the case.

14. tipstir

Well true, but I fine you can still use a larger HDD in the system even though the BIOS might not see the entire HDD, but if Windows OS sees it okay. I have 11 year old laptop the max HDD was 8GB which the BIOS can only see. I have 40GB 7,200 rpm in it and that works great with Windows XP Pro SP3. Two older DELL D600 series can handle 40GB no issues.

15. ThunderZ

Similar instance here.

Have an old Gateway Solo 5300. Largest hdd supported was supposed to be I believe 10 Gigs. I then got a hold of an 80 Gig. Much to my surprise all 80 is recognized in the BIOS and then of course by XP.

Did not know an OS would recognize something the BIOS does not. :doubt:

16. tipstir

Yes it's possible. Just like you can disable hardware features in the BIOS you can do it under Windows too. But Windows over rules the BIIOS. Older hardware as you can see from your Gateway and My Toshiba Tecra 8000 really old PII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.